Author Topic: Margaretta Jane Morgans born 1828 Mathry, Pembrokeshire  (Read 4554 times)

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Margaretta Jane Morgans born 1828 Mathry, Pembrokeshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 05:19 BST (UK) »
Hiya,
1881 census 1 Woodland Row, Briton Ferry
Griffith Williams 59 Pilot
Margaretta J Williams 53 Pilots Wife
William Williams son 12 scholar
John Morgan stepson 16 labourer

RG 11\5338
Kind Regards
Paul Williams
Looking for Williams (Merthyr) and (Briton Ferry), as well as Abraham (Abercanaid)and Gerrard (Dorset and London)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 05:28 BST (UK) »
Hi again, yes that is why I am concerned about the 1841/51/61 as in both 1871/81 Margaretta J states born c 1828 not 1830/3?

Keyboard86

PS when/where did she die?
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 05:40 BST (UK) »
Hiya,
Margaretta death date unknown searching free bdm there is only Dec 1907 aged 74 for Portypridd, but that puts the birth date as 1833 which ties in with the censuses for 1841/51/61 which you found. All the other Margaretta's are too young.
1891 census has Griffith Williams on a pilot boat which isn't helpful.
Kind Regards
Paul Williams
Looking for Williams (Merthyr) and (Briton Ferry), as well as Abraham (Abercanaid)and Gerrard (Dorset and London)

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 November 16 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,
Discovered that Laura Valetta married a Hopkin Evans in 1878 in Neath, then went to USA, in 1881, on USA census 1881 in Pennsylvania. Died in 1910. 1900 census has Laura but she is missing from 1910. Her grave stone just says 1910, searched all the death records cannot find a Laura Evans dying in early 1910. Can anyone help please?
Regards
Paul Williams

Offline norbert37

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 April 17 10:57 BST (UK) »
Laura Valletta Williams married Hopkin Evans, a younger brother of my great-grandfather.  They appear in the 1881 census living at 10 Warren, Briton Ferry, but Laura is misspelled as Louisa.  They subsequently emigrated to the Pittsburgh area where they have many descendants, some of whom I have some information on.  I too wondered where she got her name Valletta!

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 April 17 03:54 BST (UK) »
Hiya,
Malta has always comes to my thoughts but i have yet to find anything to confirm this. It was not until the 1911 census that you filled the form in yourself, previously the census taker did this and their mistakes/errors have confused us in our research.
King Regards
Paul Williams

Offline norbert37

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 April 17 15:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, Malta seems likely.  Margaretta is something of an exotic name too, so I wondered if it was her family which had some Mediterranean connection. 
If you are interested in Laura's American family, I have a family tree on geneanet.org;  search for Laura Williams combined with Place : Briton Ferry and you'll get directly to my tree (username is mrobiette).  In the 1980's I visited one of Laura and Hopkin's grandchildren in Pittsburgh and still have  some notes, extracts from letters and photos from that time.  If you want these, email me from the geneanet link and I'll send them.  I haven't tried to keep this branch up to date but there is probably a lot more available now - just for interest I ran a search on Hopkin Evans on Familysearch and quickly found the marriage of his youngest daughter.
best wishes, Martin