Author Topic: TIP: Looking for unreplied messages  (Read 69917 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
TIP: Looking for unreplied messages
« on: Wednesday 21 July 04 08:22 BST (UK) »
Tip: Looking for unreplied messages

In any of the boards you will see the following, just above the messages

Subject     Started by     Replies     Views     Last post

If you click on the "Replies" it will sort the message by the number of replies. Depending on how many times you click, the messages will be sorted either by most replies first, or least replies first.

In this way you can see if you can answer any messages that have not been replied to yet.

To get it all back to how it should be, click in the "Last Post" in the heading.

Trystan
RootsChat Admin
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: TIP: Looking for unreplied messages
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 July 04 07:26 BST (UK) »
Trystan, I think there may be a glitch?
I tried this but received an error message when I tried to  go to next message.  I restarted the process, but when pressed "next" the message that came up was one which had been replied to (I was looking for no replies),or perhaps this feature does not work when doing this?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 July 04 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.... I don't use the previous/next buttons... I'd imagine it would confuse it though! Not too sure how to fix that. I'd use the "back" button, and select the next message off the board index.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 October 04 09:57 BST (UK) »
I'm keen to help others,but often find that those with no replies are ones where people have not been specific enough.Eg " I am looking for XXX" Rather than can someone look for a birth/marriage or certain census.
Sometimes people just do not give enough info.
A tip here is to give all you know about someone.
Where born,when,parents names brothers and sisters names,job they did etc etc.
Particularly when it is a common surname.

Just a few thoughts there I thought I'd share with you all ::)

Happy ancestor hunting.

Carol

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 October 04 10:06 BST (UK) »
Carol,

Thank you,  you are of course right.  When I see these messages I usually reply with a Please help us to help you type of thing. 

If you find that there are details missing from a message,  it is probably a very inexperienced researcher who needs to be pointed in the right direction,  and doing just that is very helpful in these circumstances.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline baswill

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 December 04 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,
I am trying to get in contact with a person who is related to my gggg Grandfather Benjamin Williams who was born in Pensax England. She posted a question on Roots Chat. I have now got my usename and password to discuss the common heritage. Could you please advise me of her email address ?

Regards,  Basil Williams

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 December 04 12:40 GMT (UK) »
The Search button at the top of the page allows you to make all such searches and to reply to messages once found. In your case the message was at
 http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=17576.msg63660#msg63660

You may contact her through the PM facility on this site. It is up to her if she wishes to give you her personal email address. Good luck.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 February 06 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Basil,
Welcome to the friendliest site there is !
Hack or Lord Hack as he is known  ;D has given you the link to the original message about your gggg grandfather,
just in case you haven't used it before, the PM Hack referred to is the Personal Message system used by Rootschat instead of email addresses.
To use it you click on the scroll that is underneath your username on the left hand side of the message, next to the face, which is your profile link.
Sorry if I haven't explained it well, Hack would do it much better.
Newbie.

Offline gladys1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Tip: Looking for unreplied messages

In any of the boards you will see the following, just above the messages

Subject     Started by     Replies     Views     Last post

If you click on the "Replies" it will sort the message by the number of replies. Depending on how many times you click, the messages will be sorted either by most replies first, or least replies first.

In this way you can see if you can answer any messages that have not been replied to yet.

To get it all back to how it should be, click in the "Last Post" in the heading.

Trystan
RootsChat Admin

Hi Trystan i am going off line and will i get back on with the same password as the last time i went off line i had to use another password.  Please will you help me to get back on line when i am all fixed up.   gladys 1