Author Topic: Golden Green Tonbridge  (Read 2496 times)

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Golden Green Tonbridge
« on: Wednesday 15 July 15 02:43 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone who is familiar with the people living in Golden Green in the 1940's My late mother used to visit a relation there. My problem is that I only know the first names of the couple and of their two daughters and I have a photograph of the family taken on a family visit. I am fairly sure the family were descendants of a female sibling of my grandmother and who was born in India in 1879 the father being a soldier stationed there and therefore she would be my great aunt, she is the only one of my tribe I have not managed to track down. As regards the name of great aunt there are dozens of them appearing in the BMD's and in this case is of a very common surname being preceded by a equally common first name, I would like to go to Kent to try my luck there but age and the distance from Australia are against that. As names would be mentioned it may be better to correspond by PM's and then by my e mail address
Will keep my fingers crossed as miracles have happened via Roots Chat before  Thank You Dennis
Piercy Nfk .Buck Nfk. Vince Nfk. Meachen Nfk. Fuller Nfk. Green Swannington Nfk. Seaman Yaxham Nfk  Savage Sur/ Ham. Homan Cor/Ham. Higgins Gal/Ham. Knott  Thame Oxf. Maynard Great Haseley Oxf. Lewis Henley in Arden War.Woodhams Ken/Sus.Sargent Hastings. Waters Hastings.Evernden Hastings. Savery Hastings,
Colgan Gal. Keenan  Millisle & Belfast. Kane Dow. Mcaleese Belfast. Fitzpatrick Kik.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Green Tonbridge
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 09:40 BST (UK) »
at least one person could be mentioned > the one born in 1879....

then>

a photo...well     is there a background or is it studio? can any landmarks or portions be made out...
if there is take a journey around Tonbridge on google earth ....

then>

post office directories......  you are in Australia   ......  there are heaps of PODs of Britain in various libraries and archives ..ie Mitchell Library Sydney, Cultural Library Brisbane...  and others throughout the Eastern Seabord

narrow your search down to MEDWAY on the freebmd site

we have the India BMD microfische in Australia for British subjects , available at larger libraries and genealogical societies however check the names on Find My PAst index and get cert number references and apply to WRO in UK for cert copies if some substance can be linked

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 09:44 BST (UK) »
Is there a chance the family were living there as early as 1939?

There is Kelly's directory for Tonbridge available to view on line

http://tinyurl.com/nggwrhu
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 July 15 03:22 BST (UK) »
Very complicated all this for an old chap, The only missing person as far as I can see is a Francis Ellen Green who was born on the 30th Jul 1879 Bengal and in 1911 was still single and was a domestic nurse living in Kensington. A problem with this family is the use of pet names and second names as first names etc.   It must have been in 1945 when I was in the army when I seem to remember Mother saying she was going to visit Aunt Fannies son in Kent and I think I am right in thinking Fanny is a pet name for Francis but then again as I only have the first names I might be barking up the wrong tree all together and it was not Frances  If it was Frances I still would need her married name if she married?. The photo obviously taken by my mother on her box brownie shows the couple and their two daughters at the door of the house  It looks as if the eldest child was born about 1939 and the other say three years later, I have spent hours trying to couple the two girl children's names on the birth indexes with children born in Kent with no luck but were they born in Kent? I see on Google that Golden Green is only a village and I was hoping someone went to school there and would know the children I ? and Y ? Not much to go on except knowing the first names of the parents and children, As an aside the Soldier Green had four children in India came home remarried and had another ten and all lived to adult hood must be some sort of a record but a bit hard sorting them out    Thank you Dennis
Piercy Nfk .Buck Nfk. Vince Nfk. Meachen Nfk. Fuller Nfk. Green Swannington Nfk. Seaman Yaxham Nfk  Savage Sur/ Ham. Homan Cor/Ham. Higgins Gal/Ham. Knott  Thame Oxf. Maynard Great Haseley Oxf. Lewis Henley in Arden War.Woodhams Ken/Sus.Sargent Hastings. Waters Hastings.Evernden Hastings. Savery Hastings,
Colgan Gal. Keenan  Millisle & Belfast. Kane Dow. Mcaleese Belfast. Fitzpatrick Kik.

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 July 15 10:32 BST (UK) »
Just to confuse the issue further could this be your Frances .Gone back to Inda to marry a childhood sweetheart??

Frances Ellen Green
b 30 Jul 1879 bp 9 Sep 1879 Landour, Bengal presidency
EParents: Robert Green & Elizabeth
Archive reference   N-1-169 fo 29

Frances Ellen Greenage   34
married 30 Sep 1916 Beaconsfield Welfare age   29
at Hyderabad,St Thomas, Bombay Presidency
Presidency   Bombay
Fathers: Frederick  Welfare and Robert Green

Archive reference   N-3-116 fo 41

Haven't found a son to the couple so could be a dead end.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 July 15 22:44 BST (UK) »
*technically Golden Green is a hamlet not a village......

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 July 15 02:48 BST (UK) »
To start the day on a happy note I always thought a Hamlet was tied up with this " To be or not to be" business !! Wikepedia has got it wrong then as it states it is a village and that a hamlet has a population of under 100 so that should make it easier for me to find a Robert and Mary Couldbe
For grandarog I will P M you as I think you have hit the nail on the head as the two girl children of the couple first names tie up with the surname, Mission Impossible now seems Mission Possible, Many Many Thanks Dennis
STOP PRESS  grandarog has solved the problem

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 July 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
That was a lucky break, so glad I have managed to help you . :D ;D
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Green Tonbridge (COMPLETED)
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 July 15 03:13 BST (UK) »
What a site and what helpful people On and off for thirty years I have been trying to find out what happened to Frances Ellen with no luck whatsoever I never would have thought of a marriage in India After only three days on Roots Chat I know all her details that I need. For those interested Frances was a nurse in 1911 and I would think she went to India to nurse soldiers, there she met Beaconsfield Welfare (Born in Sussex named after a town in Buckinghamshire?) in 1916 He was a regular soldier in the Royal Field Artillery and had served in France landing there in Sep 1914( ? to self why did he leave France and turn up in India), after the marriage they had two children in India one of whom was  the Robert, The family at some time came to Australia as the family departed Brisbane and arrived back in London 26th Mar 1930 and thence to Reigate and Tonbridge. Two more bricks removed from the wall are at the funeral of her father in 1931 in the list of mourners it states Mrs Welfare daughter unable to attend and in the 1933 Electoral Register she is listed as Fanny Welfare. Still cannot work out how grandarog came across the Indian marriage but am I glad he did   Thanks Dennis