Author Topic: Missing Person - Robert William Mathews  (Read 4111 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Missing Person - Robert William Mathews
« on: Wednesday 15 July 15 09:55 BST (UK) »
Wonder if someone clever can help me find a long lost relative please.

Robert William Mathews born c 1856 London, bapt. St. Peter's in Gowt, Lincoln 9th May, 1856

Robert was the son of John Gibbons Mathews & Mary Jane Mathews - my great great grandparents!

1861 Census - SHEFFIELD - with Parents and family - transcribed as Marten

1871 Census - LAMBETH with parents and other sibs at home of brother, HENRY - (my g grandfather - in my profile image)

From there on NOTHING!  His father John died at sea 1873, Widowed, so mother must have died between 1871 census and 1873 year of husbands death.  Haven't found that one yet either, although did order a promising death certificate,  but wasn't her -wrong husband and parents!

I have located later census details etc re the rest of Roberts family, but he's not with any of them! No marriage record for him, nor death record.

I have several records for this family name wrongly transcribed (and who hasn't) to names such as Marten, Matthews, Mathues, Mayhews, (Matgews, but I think that ones a genuine typo, g being next to h on the keyboard and I do that one a lot myself)!

So Robert William Mathews has either married or died, but I've done many searches and found nothing! - Anywhere! Except the info given here, and that's all from the official sources.

I'd be really grateful if anyone has any ideas that might help!

Thank You

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Person - Robert William Mathews
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 10:20 BST (UK) »
There's a death in Fulham
Robert William Matthews age 23
born abt 1856
death Mar 1879
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 10:43 BST (UK) »
Oh, that looks promising Milliepede!  Thanks a lot! Is that on England free BDM?

I'm not sure where Fulham is - maybe London?  ThinK it rings a bell from TV.... LOL

Thanks
Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 14:01 BST (UK) »
Yes it's on Free BMD site.

Mar 1879
Fulham 1a 182
Matthews Robert William age 23

Fulham is London but I don't know which part.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 14:10 BST (UK) »
Fulham is adjacent to Chelsea Knightsbridge Kensington and Hammersmith, so just on the north bank of the River Thames.

try google maps

Once you have found the entry on freebmd, click on Fulham (registration district) and you will then be taken to another page for district information, and then click again on the 'here' to see which sub-districts are included.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 14:31 BST (UK) »
Widowed, so mother must have died between 1871 census and 1873 year of husbands death.  Haven't found that one yet either, although did order a promising death certificate,  but wasn't her -wrong husband and parents!

Can I ask which one was the wrong one?  1871-1873 is quite narrow.  If by chance that is the right Robert perhaps they were living together in that area and her death will be there too :-\

I wonder if husband really was a widower when he died at sea - was he crew on a boat if you don't mind me asking?  Wondering how people knew him to be a widower that's all  :)
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 14:51 BST (UK) »
Oh, that looks promising Milliepede!  Thanks a lot! Is that on England free BDM?

I'm not sure where Fulham is - maybe London?  ThinK it rings a bell from TV.... LOL

Thanks
Jeanne

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulham

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 July 15 10:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your advice!  Looking at those locations you have suggested, the address on the 1871 census seems to be not too far away.  1871 census has the names indexed as MATHUES, and the address I think is 12 Burnley Place, (or Rd) Lambeth (Bunnily Place on the initial reference I had - but I think it's Burnley, after looking at the image again).

The whole family is there, including Robert.  So not too far from Fulham?.?

The image shows LAMBETH, Parish of St. Michael, Sub Registration Kennington Second, (Kensington?) Ward of Stock Reville, Dist. 15.

On the question of her husband's death at sea in 1873, firstly there was a notice in a Victoria (Australia) Gazette, stating the death of John Gibbons Mathews, his full name!  Died at sea on ship Northumberland.

Another Rootschatter found that one for me, and more recently I received from a different Rootschatter, a copy of his death entry in the Marine Register of Deaths, and a Passenger List Snippet. Neither of these had his middle name, but because of the initial info in the Victorian Gazette, where they did have his middle name, that was definitely the right person.

It's the death entry, in the register by the Ship's Captain, that states "Widow", so although initially I took that with a grain of salt, the entry in the Gazette was a match!

He had a sister in Victoria, so a motive for going there, and if his wife had died, probably even more of a motive!  I have since looked at a copy of the Passenger List, just in case she was on the ship with him, but no sign of her on there, and likewise have found no sign of her on England 1881 census either!

So I'm going to go ahead and order the Robert William Mathews Death Cert. and maybe get some more info from that, but won't get it until Sept., as I will be in the UK until the end of August.  So hopefully there will be a nice surprise for me when I get home to NZ.

Thanks again for your help, I'll post the details of the Fulham Death cert in September when I get home! Fingers crossed !

Jeanne  :)

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 July 15 12:00 BST (UK) »
So I'm going to go ahead and order the Robert William Mathews Death Cert. and maybe get some more info from that, but won't get it until Sept., as I will be in the UK until the end of August.

I think you would be able to purchase a copy if you go to a local registry office when you're in England & less expensive  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"