Author Topic: Tyn-y-ffridd, Llanaelhaearn  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tyn-y-ffridd, Llanaelhaearn
« on: Wednesday 15 July 15 15:31 BST (UK) »
Is there any way of finding out who built the quarryman cottages Tyn-y-ffridd opposite Capel Babel, Llanaelhaearn. I am wondering if it was my GGrandfather and his brother Robert and William Evans. In the 1861 Census they are living with their families in two of the cottages. They had arrived a few years earlier from the farm Tyn-y-ffridd in the old parish of Llangelynin near Conwy to work in the Trefor granite quarry.
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Tyn-y-ffridd, Llanaelhaearn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 16:14 BST (UK) »
Glyn,

Just a thought, could the quarrymen cottages have been built by the Trefor quarry owners themselves?

You may a few old historic documents if you search for the Welsh "hanes chwarel Trefor" (history of Trefor quarry) and "chwarelwr Trefor" (Tefor quarrymen). If you need any bits translated, then just let us know. If it's text then Google translate (https://translate.google.co.uk/) can do a basic job too.

Not much help, but it might give you some ideas. Another possibility is to post a letter to one of the cottages, and ask if they know anythng about the history of the buildings at all - they may have deeds of the house that lists that.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tyn-y-ffridd, Llanaelhaearn
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 17:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trystan. On first glance I cannot find anything, however, I will look deeper. My suspicions were aroused when I found an obituary to William who by 1871 had taken over the post office in Llithfaen. It stated that he had built around 40% of the quarrymen's cottages in Llithfaen.
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland