Author Topic: R.A.F world war 1  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
R.A.F world war 1
« on: Wednesday 15 July 15 17:51 BST (UK) »
Some years ago my mom told me that grandad had been in the R.A.F   during w.w.1. Recently my sister was looking for family service numbers and came across one for Benjamin Charles Ainsworth. Army no.11314 arma sch R.A.F and home address fawdry Street Birmingham. I'm interested to know if this is associated with the Warwickshire regiment..I've been told grandad was at the Somme,  he was injured and on crutches when he married nan early
1917. I've also heard he may have been at Passchendael.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: R.A.F world war 1
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 18:05 BST (UK) »
I don't think the term RAF  was ever used  during WW1.     I think it was known as the "Flying Corps"      and was a branch of the Army.     
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 18:29 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was transferred to the RFC in Jan 1918, then in Feb 1919 transferred to the Air Force Reserve.

The Royal Air Force was formed between those date, April 1918.

Offline PalmTree1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 18:35 BST (UK) »
A quick Google yields that Pte Benjamin Ainsworth Royal Warwickshire Regt No.11341 became RAF No.135331. Note the Army Regt No is similar but different to the one given by bearnan mo but looks to confirm the Warwicks and RAF connection.
Appears that he was an Assistant Armourer in the RAF - see http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/?7000113074

Regards,
Paul
Palmers of Pilton, Ramsey, and Derbyshire - Berrills of Bozeat and Wellingborough -  Byles of Suffolk and Northants - Norris of Farnham - Morehens, Hills, Carters of Northants -  Smarts, Pettits, Woodings of Bozeat

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 18:59 BST (UK) »
thank you for the replies. I also wondered about R.A.F being in existence at that time. I just felt the Warwickshire Regiment must come into it as most of the other family members were in that regiment...... Apart from my great grandfather who was in the Duke of Cornwalls light infantry.... I think....which is a bit random seeing he lived in Birmingham too.
thank you for your help.

Offline PalmTree1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 19:18 BST (UK) »
Just a quickie in case you want to dig further as officialdom do not seem to know his correct Army No. His medal cards/rolls show 11314 and/or 11341 depending on the card/roll and they show him as 11th Battalion R Warwicks disembarked on the Continent 31 July 1915 so plenty of time for all his adventures before joining the RAF. Can see no mention of Royal Flying Corps so assume he transferred to RAF after 1 April 1918 which is supported by his relatively high RAF No.

Regards,
Paul
Palmers of Pilton, Ramsey, and Derbyshire - Berrills of Bozeat and Wellingborough -  Byles of Suffolk and Northants - Norris of Farnham - Morehens, Hills, Carters of Northants -  Smarts, Pettits, Woodings of Bozeat

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 19:24 BST (UK) »
His service record states:
Benjamin Ainsworth 135331
Wife Celina? Grace Ainsworth married 18.1.1917

11314 3rd? R. Warks reg
Entered RFC 26.1.18
Entered RAF 1.4.18

CAMPAIGNS etc.....
R. War rgt France 31.7.15 - 25.11.16
R. War rgt France 9.3.17 - 4.5.17
RAF No? O/Seas
Awarded 14/15 Star, British War & Victory medals

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 19:38 BST (UK) »
thank you all for your help, it means a lot to my sister and I. Ben and Celia were devoted to each other. Thanks, Mo

Offline teddygreen1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 January 18 20:17 GMT (UK) »
i know this is a old thread but we had a ancestry party on Saturday  and my uncle said that benjamin was at galliopli . is there anyway of finding out
im bearnan sister
kath