Author Topic: Seymour family - Auckland 1840/50s  (Read 38705 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seymour family - Auckland 1840/50s
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 25 July 15 04:09 BST (UK) »

For the purpose of finding early information about KEATES family I think this death record would be useful

1888/326 KEATES  Joseph   82Y

When Catherine d. 1894 daughter Catherine CLARKE, formerly LYNCH, nee KEATES was in NSW.

Son Joseph had d. Wollongong 1890. Son Benjamin would have been in NZ 1894, so possibly source of information on his mother's death certificate.

When Joseph d. 1888 his wife Catherine was alive, so you might hope that Catherine gave information for her husband's death certificate.

Offline NoNonsenseNana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 21 September 15 05:01 BST (UK) »
Re: John Nolan (from Michael Smith info) - Informant: John Nolan, Farmer, North Shore, Uncle (John Nolan married Margaret Dayer/Dane/Duane early 1830's had 3 children prior to 1840 when he came to NZ, had 3 more children in Auckland between 1842-50. He was originally living in Auckland City before the North Shore)

Is this John Nolan, Tipperary, arrived Kororareka on HMS Herald 18 Jan 1840), followed by wife Margaret and three sons, Patrick, Edward and Martin in March 1840, moved to Short St Auckland 1842, where first daughter Catherine born?

Offline Mel_Elsayed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 21 September 15 05:08 BST (UK) »
Hi NoNonsenseNana,

Yes that would be the one. I have recently found that that John Nolan married Margaret nee Dean.
James Seymour's second wife Eleanor who married Joseph Keates was also maiden name Dean. Guessing they were probably sisters.

Mel

Offline NoNonsenseNana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 21 September 15 06:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, 'Dean' accords with what I've got too. I'm a Nolan descendant, through Catherine.

Offline Catherine M.

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 10 May 19 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I was in NZ a few years ago from Australia to follow up on family history. I'm a descent of Catherine and Joseph Keates/s. Catherine arrived in NZ (I believe) on The Stately. When I researched Joseph Keates life with the family research librarian at Auckland Library, I couldn't find where he came from.
Catherine Lynch, their daughter, was the licensee of The Occidental in Auckland and that is where newspaper reports have it where Joseph Keates worked and died. Catherine and Dennis Lynch's second daughter was Catherine (known as Margaret Spellman Lynch). Catherine/Margaret had an older sister, Catherine, who died young, family stories hint of a bad heart. Catherine/Margaret was named after her sister but was forever known as Margaret. Margaret Lynch married my grandfather, Theo Winter, in Sydney and her first born, Catherine (Kitty) Winter (married name Bennett), was my mother. I have seven children. Am interested in learning more about the NZ side of my family.