Author Topic: Help finding death of Mary Smith please?  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Help finding death of Mary Smith please?
« on: Friday 17 July 15 11:41 BST (UK) »
Mary Sang, born Jesmond 1866, married Francis Smith at St Bede's Church, Toxteth Park, on 28 August 1894. They had one son, Walter, born 14 February 1904 at St Mary's Vicarage, Lowton, Leigh, Lancashire, where Francis was the incumbent.

I have the 1901 and 1911 Census, where they are listed in Lowton Vicarage.

However in 1927 Francis married again. His second wife was Sarah Ann Partoon, and when Francis died in 1938, probate was granted to Sarah Ann Smith, widow, and Commander Walter Smith RN.

So Mary must have died between 1911 and 1927.

Does anyone have access to any information, such as am MI, or can anyone suggest where I might look for the death of Mary Sang or Smith? I've tried FreeBMD and the Lancashire Parish Clerk to no avail.

Update: have now been pointed at the relevant listing in the Calendar of Probate. She died near Wigan in 1926. Would still be interested in a gravestone, if one exists.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding death of Mary Smith please?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 July 15 13:30 BST (UK) »
Concentrating on the Leigh RD only between 1911-1927 there are no obvious matches - particularly as she didn't have a middle name

I wonder if she died elsewhere?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 July 15 13:41 BST (UK) »
Francis was the minister of Lowton St Marys from 1897 to 1914.
Where did he move to?

Heather

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 July 15 13:46 BST (UK) »
I have found that Francis Smith was the Rector of St Luke's Church Lowton from 1914 until 1939
http://www.stlukeschurchlowton.co.uk/history.htm

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 July 15 16:00 BST (UK) »
I wonder if she died elsewhere?

See above - death is registered in Wigan.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 July 15 16:06 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Heatherjulie :)

Francis was the minister of Lowton St Marys from 1897 to 1914.

I have found that Francis Smith was the Rector of St Luke's Church Lowton from 1914 until 1939

So he moved from one church to another in the same parish? And he seems to have moved from a vicarage to a rectory - is ther a difference between a vicar and a rector, and if so what? (In the Church of Scotland they don't have vicars, and in Scotland the Rector is headmaster of a secondary school. I haven't a clue about the workings of the Church of England!)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 July 15 16:28 BST (UK) »
Vicar" has meaning similar to "rector." The difference between "vicar" and "rector" has to do with money. A vicar is the priest in charge of a parish or mission that is supported financially from the outside, while a rector is the priest in charge of a self-supporting church. In England most churches are supported by their diocese, so most of the priests in charge of English churches are vicars.

from anglican.org

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline lancaster.jim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 July 15 16:33 BST (UK) »
As has been pointed out, there is a possible death in the Wigan Registration District

Surname, First name(s) ; Age; District; Vol  Page
Deaths Jun 1926   (>99%)
Smith  Mary  59  Wigan  8c 6

There is a matching local entry

1926 SMITH  Mary 59 Standish Wigan & Leigh STND/29/23

showing that the death was registered in the Standish Registration Sub-District. The Ref No is for the Wigan and Leigh register Office

My knowledge of this part of Lancashire is not good, but I think Standish is north of Wigan whereas Lowton is south west[?] of Leigh and Wigan.

Hope this helps

Jim Lancaster (Bury, Lancs.)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 July 15 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks, BumbleB and Jim.

The Calendar of Probate says she died in the Limes Nursing Home, Standish, near Wigan, so that now makes sense.