Author Topic: Grays of Whittlesey  (Read 4922 times)

Offline Lisa Skeels

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grays of Whittlesey
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 October 15 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi An65

Thanks for taking the time to respond - I was aware of your connection with the Grays from research on posts on this forum.  I have been rechecking all my information and have just realised that Ada Gray age 2 on the 1881 Census is in Branston, Lincolnshire.  Her older brother (the only other sibling on that census) was born in Derbyshire so they evidently did move around somewhat before settling in Whittlesey. Her father, Samuel, is listed as a Labourer.

I do feel as if I am going round in ever decreasing circles but am determined to find out once and for all if it is family folklore or fact.  I do know that a member of Ada's family was approached by a traveller who said "you're a Gray aren't you?".

I really wish I could find baptism records  ???

I appreciate what you say about Sue Day and Eric Trudghill and will contact them.

Thanks again

Lisa
Johnson, Bly (Bligh, Blyth), Blowers, Rallison
Elliott, Dawson
Denny, Barley, Skeels, Gray
Mostly Norfolk

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 October 15 20:11 BST (UK) »
thats extremely interesting as my great great grandfather Sam Gray was baptised at Branston in 1848. The family appears to have wintered in Heckington and later North Kyme, and moved in a rough circle following the fairs during the year, taking in Lincoln Brigg and Horncastle.  Branston was along their route.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 09:06 BST (UK) »
Whittlesey is linked on several occasions to other Romany Gypsy families in the same sort of era:

Josiah Smith, son of Josiah Smith 'Gypsey' and Mary buried at Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire on 21st April 1797. 

Honour Boswell, daughter of Ladger Boswell and Sarah, 'Gypsies' baptised at Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire on 6th March 1802.

Hezekiah Boswell, son of Vato Boswell and Cinderella Boswell (nee Hall) baptised at Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire, March 1825.

The birth of Elijah Herring was registered there in autumn 1837.  He was the father of Leopolus 'Poley' Herring/Heron. They were prominent members of the famous fortune telling encampment  at Blackpool Pleasure Beach from 1890-1915. The Rev. George Hall writes of them in his 1915 book 'The Gypsies Parson'

As these all occurred either in early spring or autumn, I would think maybe they visited this place for some sort of regular agricultural work, rather than using it as a winter stop over.

The only Samuel Gray I have in my records was the son of Collingwood  Gray and Frances Crosby  who was baptised in 1812, so doesn't seem to link to your people.

The Bird family are recorded living an itinerant lifestyle as early as 1732, when Elizabeth Bird, a vagrant: 16 years old, was taken ill in Hagley, Worcestershire . She described her father and mother as ‘wandering people’. She had received parish relief in Clent but was moved on as she had ‘stayed long enough’. She then became very ill and  crept into a barn from where she was taken to the house of the Overseer at Hagley. In March 1849, the famed Matthias ‘Matty’ Cooper, appeared before the Lent Assizes in Sussex charged with poisoning a pig at Ferring, Sussex alongside members of the Lee and Bird families. Uriah Cooper, a relative of Matty, is recorded in a tent at Holty Common, Hartfield, Sussex on the 1851 census, next to Kezia Cooper, his probable sister, her husband Joseph Junix and several members of the Bird family.  In 1861 three ‘Gipsies ‘ Riley, Levina and Alfred Bird are listed as sleeping in a barn at Covington, Northamptonshire next to families of Smiths, Davies and Fletchers in caravans. In 1881 Elijah Bird ‘No occupation; a Gipsy’ is recorded with his family, sleeping in a barn at Wistow Fen, Huntingdon. So your Samuel Gray and Letitia Bird marriage could definitely be Romany people.

Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline Lisa Skeels

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Richarde

I am so grateful to you for this information; it does give me more places to look.

Thanks again

Lisa
Johnson, Bly (Bligh, Blyth), Blowers, Rallison
Elliott, Dawson
Denny, Barley, Skeels, Gray
Mostly Norfolk

Offline Courts1010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 17:24 BST (UK) »
hello Lisa,
i have just came across your post whilst looking into my family (the grays from whittlesey).
I am a descendant of John Gray and Isabella. They had a child called Esther Elizabeth Gray who went on to change her name to Elizabeth Gray. She is the Great Grandmother of my mum. I was just wondering if by any chance over the past couple of years that you have managed to find out any more information on this family. We can see that in 1891 census records, Ada(my mums great grandmothers sister)  lived at home with her parents in whittlesey but from the census in 1901 she no longer lived there. So at some point in those 10 years must have been when she went on to marry the gorger boy. Would it be possible to have a copy of her marriage certificate please?