Author Topic: Innes family Fraserburgh/Old Deer  (Read 5271 times)

Offline Scottish wifie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Innes family Fraserburgh/Old Deer
« on: Friday 17 July 15 18:20 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anybody had any information on Alexander Innes married to Isabella Keith. I have a lot of information on their son called Alexander Innes who was born about 1826 in Old Deer, In 1844 he married Isabella Stephen and lived in Fraserburgh I have got him in the 1851 census onwards and he died in 1909 and was a coal merchant/ store keeper. On his death certificate it has his father Alexander Innes as a farmer and mother Isabella Keith I am interested in trying to find out more thanks.
Reid - Edinburgh, East Linton
Borthwick - Edinburgh, Dalkeith
Cowe - East Lothian
Johnston - Dalkeith, Borthwick
Christie, Lee, Anderson, Greig, Innes, Bisset, Noble, Fraserburgh

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Innes family Fraserburgh/Old Deer
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 July 15 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, first of all, who was the informant on the death certificate? Often the information given can be inaccurate. Does the certificate say Isabella Innes m.s. Keith? This would indicate that the parents were married. Have you come across any of Alexander's siblings? Sometimes relatives are witnesses at christenings, marriages etc. If you could locate a marriage certificate for any of them it would be useful in establishing whether the parents were still living at a certain date. Hope this helps,
flst.
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 July 15 20:51 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is the same family, but there is an Isabella Innes (Innies), a widow, who appears in both the 1841 and 1851 censuses in Old Deer with her daughter, Mary:

Mary Urquhart, 30, Ag Lab's wife
Mary Urquhart, 10
William Urquhart, 5
Isabella Innies, 75, stocking weaver

Joseph Urquhart, 49, agricultural labourer, Fraserburgh
Mary Urquhart, 46, agricultural labourer's wife, Old Deer
William Urquhart, 15, scholar, Old Deer
Isabella Innes, 89, mother, stocking weaver, Old Deer

Mary Innes married Joseph Urquhart on 7 June 1827 in Old Deer. Can't immediately find anything to suggest that her mother is, in fact, Isabella Keith, but a Mary Urquhart (nee Innes) died in 1890 in Old Deer, so her death certificate would hopefully confirm her parents.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline Scottish wifie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 July 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies the informant of his death was a neighbour John Murray, so will have to check to see if this information is right. I will check Scotlandspeople Ruth thanks for the information, havent been able to find any brothers or sisters and I havent found the family on Scotlandspeople cant find them in 1841 census yet. Alexander that died in 1909 married twice his second marriage is to Ann Will I will check to see if any brothers or sisters are witnesses, thanks for all your help Lesley
Cowe - East Lothian

Offline Scottish wifie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 July 15 21:11 BST (UK) »
I looked at Alexander Innes second marriage to Ann Will in 1874 it has his parents as Alexander Innes deceased and Isabella Keith still alive. A W. Innes was one of the witnesses so will look in to this thanks again Lesley
Cowe - East Lothian

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 July 15 21:58 BST (UK) »
I looked at Alexander Innes second marriage to Ann Will in 1874 it has his parents as Alexander Innes deceased and Isabella Keith still alive.

That probably makes the Isabella Innes I identified above as too old to be Isabella Keith, given that she was 89 in 1851  ;D Guess there's still a possibility that Mary Urquhart (nee Innes) could be related to Alexander Innes senior - perhaps a sister or cousin - but the ages don't really stack up for her being a sister to Alexander Innes junior after all...
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 July 15 23:13 BST (UK) »
Alexander Innes second marriage to Ann Will in 1874 it has his parents as Alexander Innes deceased and Isabella Keith still alive. A W. Innes was one of the witnesses

Just wondering where the marriage took place & who was/were the other witness/witnesses  ???

Area would help trace A W Innes on census  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 July 15 00:35 BST (UK) »
Alexander Innes second marriage to Ann Will in 1874 it has his parents as Alexander Innes deceased and Isabella Keith still alive. A W. Innes was one of the witnesses

There is only 1 person with both surnames Innes/Keith in the whole of Scotland died 1874 - 2013 but she is recorded as Jean & out with any of the areas of your research who died 1885 & would fit for her age although the name Jean is a  ???

I searched Aberdeen and surrounding areas far out.
She may have gone to live with family elsewhere  ???

I have had a mistake on an index on SP where the surname was indexed as MacRay but on the actual download it had the correct name of MacKay.

Jean could well have been the forename of the next person on the list being transcribed & mistakes are inevitable..................just a thought  ???

You don't say if you found Alexander & Isabella on any other census records.

What is the difference in Alexander's age on different records from census & marriages........is his age/yr of birth consistent with being born 1826  ???

What were the names of Alex Jnr's kids as they may have followed the naming pattern

I think with there only being 1 person it is worth taking the chance

1841..................Could this be them  ???

Alexander Innes 60
Born abt 1791
Head
Spouse  Isabella Innes

Born Mortlach, Banffshire
Parish Number 159
Civil Parish Keith
County Banffshire
Address Hillside
Occupation Crofter & Ag Lab
ED:   8
Page:   3
Household schedule number:   9
LINE:   13
Roll:   CSSCT1851_35

Household    
Alexander Innes 60
Isabella Innes   56
Jane Innes 27
George Innes 25
Alexander Innes 12 b abt 1829
George Innes 8

Annie

ADDED.........

Just noticed a daughter here Jane which may be significant  ???

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Scottish wifie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 July 15 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie thanks for all your help with suggestions,
 I have Alexander Innes age 26 born Old Deer and his wife Isabella Stephen age 27 in the 1851 census living at 61 broad Street Fraserburgh, with sons James age 6 and Alexander age 3.
In 1861 they were living in 67 Frithside Street Alexr age 34, Isabella 35, Alexander 13, William 9, George 5 and Isabella age 1.
In 1871  South Road Fraserburgh Alexander age 45 cool/wood storekeeper born Old Deer.
Isabella age 53?
James son 25
William son 18
Mary Ann Innes 8
 Alexander was 48 when he married Ann Will in 1874 which makes his year of birth 1826 approx. The witnesses were W. Innes and John Will. He stayed at Seaforth Street, Fraserburgh when he got married for the 2nd time. Thanks for the help Lesley
Cowe - East Lothian