Author Topic: the name Fannie/fany-what is it a substitute for?  (Read 4754 times)

Offline advent

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
the name Fannie/fany-what is it a substitute for?
« on: Friday 17 July 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
I am curious to know was the female name of Fannie/Fany (with variations in spelling) just a name which was given to females in later life as a substitute for their birth name? The reason that I have for asking is that in my many searches for the birth records of females with the name of Fannie/fany there does not appear to be such a given name in any of the Irish civil registration civil birth records. Do any of my good Roots chat friends have any knowledge what given name or names was later substituted with the name fannie/fany (variation in spellings).

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: the name Fannie/fany-what is it a substitute for?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 July 15 18:36 BST (UK) »
Fannie/Fanny can be short for Frances, but it can also be a name in its own right.

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 July 15 04:14 BST (UK) »

... was the female name of Fannie/Fany (with variations in spelling) just a name which was given to females in later life as a substitute for their birth name?

In some cases, not too much later. For example, a search of the 1911 Ireland census brings back over 600 children aged 0 to 10 named Fanny, so while their parents registered their proper name of Frances, the pet name Fanny was sometimes being used from the word go.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 July 15 05:24 BST (UK) »
Lillian Road in Barnes used to be called Fanny Road but the sign was stolen so many times that they had to change the name. The Observer. Apparently named after the original builder's daughter. Barnes now in London on the Surrey side of the Thames.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 July 15 08:08 BST (UK) »
I know someone who was given the name Fanny at birth,needless to say she now calls herself Fae  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk