Author Topic: 64th regiment  (Read 1466 times)

Offline dptb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
64th regiment
« on: Friday 17 July 15 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

could anyone tell me where I could find information about a Captain in the 64th Regiment called Henry Graham.  I have no other information about him apart from this.  I obtained this info from a marriage certificate of his son, Henry Graham, who married in Ireland in 1885 and under ' Rank and profession of father' it only states Captain 64th regt.  Are there any lists that give information about Captains in particular (this means he was an officer doesn't it?) that were in the 64th.

Also the marriage took place in a Registrars Office, does this mean that they were not catholics? 

Thank you 

Diane

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: 64th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 15 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane,
The Staffordshire Regiment Museum hold archives which may be viewed by appointment. Their opening hours are Mon-Fri, 10.00 am - 4.30 pm.
http://x.staffordshireregimentmuseum.com
Curator: Dr Erik Blakeley
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 64th regiment
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 July 15 13:06 BST (UK) »
I have checked a number of army lists 1848 and later and cannot find an officer of that name in the 64th Foot. Do you know the  name of the Captain's wife? I have a few lists of officer's widows.

They were Captains of a Company of 2-3 junior officers, a Colour Sergeant and about 50-60 Other Ranks. There would usually be about ten companies to a battalion. The 64th had one battalion. Nine service companies would go overseas leaving a depot company behind.

Ken

Offline dptb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 July 15 15:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your information.  It gives me a start.

Ken.  Unfortunately I don't know his wife's name.  All I know about him are the details I have mentioned.  It's a very strange situation.  I am taking his details off a marriage certificate for his son also Henry Graham who married twice to,the same woman, once in Ireland and once in England all within 18 months.  Henry Jnr gives two different versions of 'rank or profession of father'. On the Irish cert his father is a Capain 64th Reg and on the English marriage cert his father is a Commercial Traveller.  Was it the usual practice for a Captain in the army to change profession within 18 months?

Any ideas

Diane

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 July 15 08:22 BST (UK) »
Was it the usual practice for a Captain in the army to change profession within 18 months?

Hi Diane

No. They often went onto half-pay as a form of pension, and to keep their rank in civvy street. He may still have been on half-pay while he had another job, and did not mention it. Officers on half-pay are listed in army lists.

Ken

Offline dptb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 July 15 10:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken