Author Topic: McHale, James, looking for birth/marriage/immigration records.  (Read 5137 times)

Offline marz8earth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McHale, James, looking for birth/marriage/immigration records.
« on: Saturday 18 July 15 01:10 BST (UK) »
I've been tracing James McHale (born around 1833 in Sligo, married to Mary (also from Ireland?), Father to Michael Laurance McHale) in my family tree. But having trouble finding any records before he immigrates to Canada (around 1850?). Can find him in Canadian Census in 1852/61/81/91 in Carlton/Fitzoy Ottawa Ontario, but anything prior to 1852 is escaping me. I can only assume that is around the time he immigrated and i never have any luck finding Irish records. Is anyone out there that is better at these kind of things able to find this gentleman and his wife or their families or point me in the right direction.
 Thank you very much in advance.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McHale, James, looking for birth/marriage/immigration records.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 15 01:28 BST (UK) »
try the newly released RC Registers??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline mazbonks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McHale, James, looking for birth/marriage/immigration records.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hello, If you look at the Griffiths Valuation, printed in 1857, records freely available on askaboutireland.ie the McHale surname is listed in the Sligo Parishes of Castleconor / Kilglass / Kilmoremoy and Kilmacteige, predominately in Castleconor.  So would suggest that you search those parishes.
 I've been studying Kilglass parish myself and noticed the surname McHale and Hale appearing in the newly released parish records freely available online at the National Library of Ireland. registers.nli.ie
There is a birth for a James Hale (no Mc)  on 11th March 1830 to a Thomas Hale and Mary McDonald in the Townland of Ballyogan, and previously (didn't note date) a Betty to a Thomas McHale and Sally Burke also Ballyogan townland
There is a marriage of a Patrick McHale to a Mary Carrol? 22 July 1846 at Enniscrone (would be female parish) which in the same area of Sligo, possible relative of your James.
There are not many parish records on the NLI site for Castleconor and I think they are prior to the 1830's, but certainly worth a look.
The 1833 Tithe Applotment Books for Sligo online at National Archives Ireland, nationalarchives.ie,  show two Michael McHale entries in Castleconor Parish. 
Hope this gives you a start. Regards Marian