Author Topic: Alfred and Mary Edge, Stourbridge 1884-88  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Douce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alfred and Mary Edge, Stourbridge 1884-88
« on: Saturday 18 July 15 12:54 BST (UK) »
Alfred Edge was my gguncle. He was born in Stourbridge in 1859 and married Mary Edwards in Dudley Oct 1884. He emigrated to Australia in 1888 and was followed by Mary a little later. They had one son in Queensland in 1892. Sadly, Alfred was killed by lightning in 1906. His death cert shows he had two daughters and one son deceased. I assume they were born and died in UK. I am in contact with his descendents in Australia and am looking for possible children who would fit the bill. For example, there are Thomas Henry b/d 1886, Beatrice b/d 1887 and Annie b/d 1888. Short of buying certificates for all possible Edge children, I wonder if anyone has access to appropriate baptism records. Problem is, I don't know where they were living as they are between censuses! He was in Mill St, Stourbridge before he married. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Andrew

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred and Mary Edge, Stourbridge 1884-88
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 15 15:28 BST (UK) »
Thomas Henry is a boy so I think you can rule him out  :)

I'm presuming the one son deceased is the one you mention born in 1892 so we are only looking for two girls.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Douce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 July 15 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hello

No, I said one boy two girls deceased in 1906. The boy born 1892 in Oz is the ancestor of all the Edge family in Australia with whom I'm in contact.

Forgot to say I live in France, so archive visits are a little tricky. The Joseph Edge (father of Alfred and many others) was a Breirley Hill man and I think St Mary's Kingswinford is a good bet, although Alfred married in Dudley rather than Stourbridge.

Thanks for the reply
Andrew

Offline Douce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 July 15 12:12 BST (UK) »
I have just received a dopy of the marriage certificate and can confirm Alfred and Mary were married at the Parish Church, Dudley on 26th October 1884. Their residence was just Dudley. However, it seems likely that any children would have been baptised in Dudley at the same church. Alfred was a plater, if that helps!

Andrew

ps Alfred went to Brisbane in 1888 and Mary in 1890