Author Topic: Robt Crawford and Elizabeth Hamilton born Scotland but reside Pembroke  (Read 9249 times)

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robt Crawford and Elizabeth Hamilton born Scotland but reside Pembroke
« on: Saturday 18 July 15 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi All...I've got myself tied up in knots over the above family.  :)
Some background info here  www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=669720.0
but as it's a lengthy post I will summarise.

Elizabeth Hamilton was born circa 1841 in Hamilton to Thos Hamilton & Marion Inglis.  She married Robt Crawford in Dec 1863 in Pembrokeshire at which time he was a spirit merchant of New Milford.  A daughter, Marion Inglis Crawford was born 19 Jan 1865 where Robt is referred to as R. J. Crawford.

An 1861 census was sourced in the previous post for Robt Crawford, aged 25, Chief Steward, married, born Ayrshire, Scotland and on board S.S. Courier in Pembrokeshire.

Last sighting of him is via a publication in the London Gazette dated 21 Feb 1865 by the Registrar of the Court of Bankruptcy for Robert J. Crawford of the Mariner's Inn, New Milford but....

by 1871 Elizabeth Crawford is a widow in Llanstadwell, Pembroke, Licensed Victuallar and I'm struggling to find Robt's death.  The most likely options are:

Robert Crawford died Liverpool aged 33 Mar Qtr 1871 (8b 172) or aged 35, Woolwich Jun Qtr 1871 (1d 574).  The 1871 census was taken 02 Apr 1871 and the latter death was registered in the Apr, May, Jun Qtr of that year.  I suppose it's possible that Elizabeth was widowed in March and the death registered in the following month?

A second daughter was born to Robt & Elizabeth...Susan born Dec Qtr 1866 Pembroke (11a 732) and she possibly married as Susan McLean Crawford Jun Qtr 1894 to Josiah Evans or George Orlando Patey. 

With that in mind I searched for a Robt Crawford born Ayrshire with a mother Susan and I found a family in 1841 in River St Wallacetown in the parish of St Quivox, Ayrshire:

Mrs Crawford aged 50, a Sewer, born Ayrshire
Susan Crawford aged 30, born Ireland
Isabella Crawford aged 10, born Ayrshire
Janet Crawford aged 8, born Ayrshire
Robert Crawford aged 4, born Ayrshire

1851 at Garden St Wallacetown:

Susan Crawford, aged 40, born Ireland
Robert Crawford, aged 14, born St Quivox
and 3 McFee visitors

The problem is I can't tie all this together.  I don't know what Susan Crawford's maiden name is or who she married.  If this is the Robt Crawford I'm looking for in Wallacetown and on the SS Courier in 1861 then it's possible he was married before he met Elizabeth Hamilton in Pembroke in 1863.

I hesitate to access the marriage of Robt and Elizabeth because it will likely only tell me the name of Robt's father and not his mother.  Does anyone have some suggestions as to the next step I might take?...Please.  ;D

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robt Crawford and Elizabeth Hamilton born Scotland but reside Pembroke
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 15 16:52 BST (UK) »
Robert Crawford who died in Liverpool in 1871 does not appear to be the man you are looking for
There is a matching probate
Date of death: 19 Jan 1871. Occ: Victualler
He was unmarried and his next of kin was his father: Mr John Crawford  (a Carter) of Girvan
Family can be identified 1841 onwards.
Both John Crawford and wife Mary were born in Ireland, all children, including son Robert show as born in Ballantrae

Unfortunately, there is no matching probate for Robert Crawford who died in Woolwich in 1871

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 July 15 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi as others have found cannot locate readily a death for Robert. all I can confirm is that if Susan Mclean Crawford is his daughter who married in 1894 she married the Josiah Evans, George Orlando Patey is with an Esther M in 1901 the Esther Maria Morgan on same page 1894
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 July 15 17:55 BST (UK) »

Elizabeth Hamilton was born circa 1841 in Hamilton to Thos Hamilton & Marion Inglis.  She married Robt Crawford in Dec 1863 in Pembrokeshire at which time he was a spirit merchant of New Milford.  A daughter, Marion Inglis Crawford was born 19 Jan 1865 where Robt is referred to as R. J. Crawford.

An 1861 census was sourced in the previous post for Robt Crawford, aged 25, Chief Steward, married, born Ayrshire, Scotland and on board S.S. Courier in Pembrokeshire.

To much to take in at 1 time...............by the time I finished reading I'd forgotten what the question was & who I was looking for  ;D

You state Elizabeth Hamilton married Robert Crawford in 1863 so who was Robert's wife when you found him married in 1861  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 July 15 18:06 BST (UK) »
Ammack,
To clarify:
The man who married Elizabeth Hamilton in 1863 was a Spirit Merchant living in New Milford, Pembrokeshire

On an 1861 census a  25 yr old Robert Crawford, born in Ayrshire, was Chief Steward aboard "The Courier" in New Milford.
It simply states that his marital status as: Married

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 July 15 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi again still looking for a death for Robert,  but as Elizabeth Crawford was at The Picton Castle in 1891 with Susan, in 1901 a married Susan Evans b c 1871 Married Occ Licensed Victualler along with others a Marion Gilbert married as sister.
Census ref RG13/5126/14/20
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 July 15 18:41 BST (UK) »
Ammack,
To clarify:
The man who married Elizabeth Hamilton in 1863 was a Spirit Merchant living in New Milford, Pembrokeshire

On an 1861 census a  25 yr old Robert Crawford, born in Ayrshire, was Chief Steward aboard "The Courier" in New Milford.
It simply states that his marital status as: Married

Anne......

I could see that from the 1st post  ::) so my question is.............. is this the same man or not as there's nothing about his background  ???

Sage......

How old was Robert when he married & what was his father's name & occupation  ???

Was he single/widowed/previously married when he married Elizabeth in 1863  ???

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 July 15 18:55 BST (UK) »
Ammack,
I now see what you see and I'm confused too

Sage states that he/she is hesitant about obtaining the 1863 marriage cert because it will only provide a father's name.
How does Sage know that Robert Crawford was a Licensed Victualler of New Milford at the time of his 1863 marriage  to Elizabeth Hamilton?
This info could only have come from the marriage cert, or is there something I've missed?

Edit:
Elizabeth Crawford, (maiden name Hamilton) of The Picton Castle  Hotel, Neyland, Pembrokeshire died on 19 Jun 1899
There is a probate for her and I think I can safely assume that the executors were her daughters

Susan Evans ( wife of Josiah Evans) and Marion Gilbert ( wife of Thomas Gilbert)
Effects £117 5s

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 July 15 20:03 BST (UK) »
Ammack,
I now see what you see and I'm confused too

Sage is hesitant about obtaining the 1863 marriage cert because it will only provide a father's name.
How does Sage know that Robert Crawford was a Licensed Victualler of New Milford at the time of his 1863 marriage  to Elizabeth Hamilton?
This info could only have come from the marriage cert, or is there something I've missed?

It's also the only way to find out his occupation, who his father was unless that line is of no real interest but it's the only way to find out if this is the same person in 1861 previously married  ???

Annie

ADDED.....Says Robert was a spirit merchant of New Milford when they married on initial post