Author Topic: Robt Crawford and Elizabeth Hamilton born Scotland but reside Pembroke  (Read 9251 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robt Crawford and Elizabeth Hamilton born Scotland but reside Pembroke
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 July 15 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi again the Robert Crawford death in Woolwich could be the Robert Crawford aged 36 with wife Frances A at Anglesea Road Woolwich in 1871?
Census ref RG10/785/23/40
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 July 15 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi again the Robert Crawford death in Woolwich could be the Robert Crawford aged 36 with wife Frances A

A possible 3rd marriage  ??? ::) ;D

Maybe kept asking for their "hand" when he was intoxicated & felt he had to follow it through  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 July 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
 ;D Looking at the original he was a Private in the Army,  so maybe not a "Remarriage "
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 July 15 21:59 BST (UK) »
the occupation for the groom possibly came from a newspaper announcement of the marriage.

The Pembroke Herald & General Advertiser for the 18 Jan 1867 has an article headed "Supposed Shipwreck and Loss of Life" which is about a ship which left New Milford for Glasgow and hadn't been heard from. A Mr Crawford of Neyland & his son were on board & were supposed dead with the rest of the passengers & crew. It mentions that Mr Crawford was a native of Glasgow.
The same paper a week later confirms the loss of the Sicilia off Islay.

http://newspapers.library.wales/
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 06:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for venturing into the realms of another 'Sage' mystery.  Really sorry Annie about the information overload but was trying to give an overview of the whole sorry saga!

I knew Robt Crawford was spirit merchant when he married Elizabeth Hamilton because of a notice of marriage in the 'Pembrokeshire Herald & General Advertiser' dated 18 Dec 1863.
Marion Inglis Crawford (later Gilbert) was born 19 Jan 1865 (father on birth notice R.J. Crawford)
I couldn't find a birth notice for Susan Crawford but Freebmd have her born in the Dec Qtr 1866.

The death Osprey found appears to be a match especially as reference was made in 'The Pembrokeshire Herald & General Advertiser' Jan 25, 1867 as to the demise of 'Mr Crawford & son of Neyland'.
newspapers.library.wales/view/3056221/3056223/10/sicilia

I was trying to find a matching death on Freebmd but there doesn't appear to be one...that's why I was looking at the possibility of Robt Crawford dying in 1871 as there weren't that many options.

The fact that there was 'a son' reported as missing with Robt suggests to me that there was a marriage before Elizabeth Hamilton given that Robt and Elizabeth had just the two daughters.

It also seems proven that Susan McLean Crawford (Mrs Josiah Evans) is the daughter of Robt and Elizabeth which I hope points to the possibility of Robt's mother being Susan Crawford (nee McLean).

I was hoping to find a death on S/P for the same but nothing is ever that easy.  ;D

The general consensus seems to be that I should get the marriage cert of Robt and Elizabeth but again I'm thinking that it may well say that Robt is a widower but not to whom he was married.   ::)
I wonder was their a passenger/crew list printed of the SS Sicilia and if the son's name would have been disclosed. 

Again, thanks everyone, it was very exciting to see all the responses this morning. I really appreciate all your insight.

Cheers, Sage.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Sage,

What an interesting story  :)

There are several references to the loss of the SS Sicila in the Glasgow Herald during January 1867-  you can view for free on https://news.google.com/newspapers   
Seems the weather was appalling on the West Coast of Scotland early January and there were several ships wrecked/sank.
Have you checked the Marine Death registers for Robert Crawford? 
His son must have been born during the late 1850s /early 1860s if he was born to a first marriage so there should be a birth register . If Robert was a married seaman on 1861 Census his wife could be living with child at another port. There are a couple of Robert Crawfords marry in Liverpool during the mid/late 1850s - one of them is a Robert James ?  Perhaps a red herring  ::) one of these men could be the other Ayrshire born Robert Crawford whose death you have in 1871.

Good luck with your research,
Looby :)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 12:23 BST (UK) »
I was looking at the articles in the Glasgow Herald too.
I found one which eventually listed all crew members on board but there was no Robert Crawford among them.
If he was aboard,it suggests that he was a passenger

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 21:01 BST (UK) »
the report in the Pembrokeshire Herald mentioned Mr Crawford as a passenger. He was on his way to visit family in Glasgow.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 22:33 BST (UK) »
may be interesting to note that in 1906 the license of the Picton Castle was transferred from mr Hamilton to Mrs Marion Crawford Inglis. mr Hamilton had decided to return to Scotland as it was "too warm" in Neyalnd