Author Topic: Northampton Town and County School c1910 -1914  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Fay1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Northampton Town and County School c1910 -1914
« on: Saturday 18 July 15 15:58 BST (UK) »
I am interested in anything about the school around this period. My grandfather went there on a scholarship in 1910, the first boy to do so from Naseby. On 1911  census he is listed as a boarder at 229/230 Abington Avenue. His name was William Thomas Manning ( not to be confused with a another alumni of similar name)

I understand the school was in Billing Avenue.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Northampton Town and County School c1910 -1914
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 July 15 11:25 BST (UK) »
The school was in Billing Road where it still is although it has undergone a number of name changes and changes in function over the years.

When I went there in 1951 it was Northampton Town and County Grammar School and there were still a few fee paying and boarding pupils in the sixth form. All the county (as distinct from town pupils) travelled in daily by public transport.  We were all very jealous of those travelling from some distant villages who left 15 minutes early in order to catch their 4.00pm bus.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fay1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northampton Town and County School c1910 -1914
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 July 15 15:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks.
I think my grandfather was possibly a weekly boarder but I am not sure why I think that.

F.