Author Topic: Marriage licence, Llanfrynach, 1834 - Thomas DAVIES to Mary DAVIES  (Read 30848 times)

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage licence, Llanfrynach, 1834 - Thomas DAVIES to Mary DAVIES
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 19:29 BST (UK) »
http://hdl.handle.net/10107/49609
Hi Deirdre on the will of David Davies 1789 there is a signature of his wife Elizabeth Davies who is his widow.
Just thought that if there had been a signature on the first marriage certificate we could look to see if they matched.
So, I suppose this doesn't rule out a David and Elizabeth  being his parents, but does show that whoever the Elizabeth Davies was who witnessed his marriage was illiterate.

Mar
p.s. on a tablet working...nightmare....laptop may have to go to the great laptop land in the sky !!

Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 20:50 BST (UK) »
Gosh thanks for that link Mar, esp from working on a tablet (not ideal :)). Shame about your laptop. 

Strange re Elizabeth Davies though. The signature is quite neat, not a troubled hand if you like. If the Elizabeth on the marriage certificate is maybe Thomas' sister you'd think she could sign her name like he can. No mention of any 'smith' goods in the will unfortunately either. Wonder where David and Elizabeth are buried, as the will refers to him being from Llanfrynach  :-\

More puzzles  ::)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 22:35 BST (UK) »
I suppose the witness Elizabeth Davies could have been a friend of Margaret Thomas also?
I did wonder about her being a sister to Thomas, but dont know anything about education systems at that time and if there would have been  preferential treatment to educate boys. So would we expect all children in a family to be able to write in the late 1700s if one could.
But like Thomas, the Elizabeth Davies whose signature is in the will looks like that of someone who writes easily-unless just practised at signing her name !
more and more questions.........?
Mar
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 22:37 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say  ;D
the will says 'formerly of Llanfrynach'
Does this mean before he died or that he was living somewhere else ?
Surname Interests

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Thursday 10 September 15 06:54 BST (UK) »
Morning Mar, i don't know anything about education at that time either but somehow think that if mum Elizabeth could write that her daughter would have been able to too. As you say, maybe just a coincidence and the witness Elizabeth was a friend (the other witness wasn't a Davies or Thomas so could have been a friend of Thomas).

I assumed 'formerly of Llanfrynach' meant before he died rather than he'd moved elsewhere. I can't see a reason for mentioning it otherwise, not like he was 'Lord Mayor of' or something. Might explain why he's not buried there though?

Considering the family is Davies I'm surprised to have got back this far really, it's just that every bit of info solves one question but invites others  ::)

Have a lovely day; seems like we're having a last bit of summer, though the evenings are getting cool.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Sunday 13 September 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Deirdre
I've had a look at the wording in some other bonds, and where the words 'formally of' have been used it means that the person is living elsewhere but the original/previous place of residence is specifically identified. In the ones seen, the new place of residence is also cited but that doesn't seem to be the case in the bond for David Davies (bond of 1789).
For some reason I cant reopen the bond for David Davies at NLW, but if I remember correctly the word formerly was clearly inserted in the sentence. The date on the bond would have related to after David Davies death, but would have been organised fairly soon after his death (according to online explanations of a bond) by his wife. So looking at deaths for all David Davies in Breconshire in the first few months of 1789 and 1788 - there are four.
Llangattock
Llanwrtyd
Hay
Llanfihangel Talylyn - this one was a blacksmith

Now you may remember that I commented a couple of posts back that there were other blacksmiths called Davies buried in the near vicinity - could the David Davies buried in Llanfihangel Talylyn be the same person whose bond identifies him as 'formally of Llanfrynach' ........possible especially if bond is later than the date of his burial/death in June (could you look at the date on it again please)
 Or I am adding two and two and making five   ;D
Surname Interests

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Sunday 13 September 15 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Mar, you are so good to keep digging for me (and are managing better than I am :-[ ).

I've had another look at the bond (it did open eventually) and it says 'late of' rather than formerly so does that just mean that he'd died? Late has been inserted. Had saved a snippet but can't attach it. 

The bond is dated 18 July 1789. Had we (you) found a burial in June?

Deirdre

PS How's the laptop?

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Saturday 19 September 15 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Deirdre
looks like we are getting a last blast of summer sun today  :)
I looked at some more bonds with 'late of' and it does seem to relate to where they lived at the time of their death, so does seem that the 1789 David Davies bond was him living in Llanfrynach with his wife Elizabeth before death.
The Llanfihangel Talyllyn burial is 17th June and reads "David Davies Blacksmith was buried", so someone could possibly be buried in a neighbouring parish, but the Llanfrynach parish records on FindMyPast for burials dont go back as far as we need to make an analysis.
Also there is no age at death for the one above... do you think this will be a deadend (no pun intended) ;D
mar
Surname Interests

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Saturday 19 September 15 12:02 BST (UK) »
Morning Mar, yes bright and sunny (though cool) here today.

Literally logged on 2 mins ago and your post popped up! Thanks again.

Looks like it maybe another request to the NLW for Llanfrynach (burials) - better buy the copies of the 1 baptism and 2 marriages found a few weeks ago ::) - but otherwise a dead end I think.

Enjoy the weekend,

Deirdre