Author Topic: Marriage licence, Llanfrynach, 1834 - Thomas DAVIES to Mary DAVIES  (Read 30914 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage licence, Llanfrynach, 1834 - Thomas DAVIES to Mary DAVIES
« Reply #45 on: Friday 31 July 15 20:48 BST (UK) »
I've just found another probate entry, for Mary's 2nd husband Thomas.... 9 Feb 1886 at Hereford.

Personal estate £1,240 9s 4d :o

The Will of Thomas Davies late of Llanfrynach in the county of Brecon Yeoman who died 23 Jan 1886 at Llanfrynach was proved at Hereford by William Davies of the "White Swan" Inn Llanfrynach Innkeeper and Blacksmith the Son one of the Executors.

:o Edited to add: an online calculator reckons that is more than £100,000 today
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 31 July 15 20:50 BST (UK) »
Can you find Marys?
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 31 July 15 20:56 BST (UK) »
Can you find Marys?

No, but if Thomas's probate wasn't granted until after her death maybe she didn't have one  ???
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 31 July 15 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Deirdre, so unpicking the text - do you read it as...
effects under £200.....letters of administration (with the Will annexed) of the Personal estate and effects of Thomas Davies late of the "White Swan" in the village of Llanfrynach in the county of Brecon blacksmith deceased who died 2 September 1843 at the "White Swan" aforesaid were granted at Hereford to Thomas Davies (2nd husband of Mary) of the "White Swan" Inn in the Village aforesaid Blacksmith and Licenced Victualler the Husband and Administrator of the Personal estate and effects of Mary Davies (so 2nd husband Thomas is the administrator of Marys estate) (formerly Davies, Widow) the Relict (of old Thomas) one of the Executors and the Universal Legatee named in the said Will (of old Thomas) he having been first sworn.

I don't understand the time lapse though - maybe the will will give you more  :-\
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 31 July 15 21:52 BST (UK) »
Basically yes though I hadn't realised it was saying he was the administrator of Mary's estate and effects...

Probably didn't read it as closely as I should have in the excitement of thinking that we had cracked the mystery of the older Thomas - but then noticed the date. Seems very strange to me.

Will ordered; will update when it arrives! Maybe there will be a headstone after all  ::)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 31 July 15 21:57 BST (UK) »
Having fun with the wills! Just found William's, son of Mary and the 2nd Thomas (he who left more than £1200 in 1886).

His effects amounted to just £192 19s when he died in 1893, administration granted to Ann his wife. Further grant the following year to William Thomas Davies (eldest son, mother had now died as well) a market gardener of £244 17s 2d.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 16:39 BST (UK) »
Just received Thomas' will ;D

It seems the delay was caused by Mary and another executor (Rev Charles Williams, clerk) dying before taking probate ::); letters of administration granted to Thomas Davies (Mary's 2nd husband) on 29 April 1865.

Anyway, the will says '..... I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Mary Davies ten cottages in the village of Llanfrynach - listed with rent of between £3 and £4 a year.... I also give my beloved wife all my household furniture brewing utensils in short all my personal estate in money goods and chattels and every other thing that I am possessed of at the time of my decease likewise all my livestock consisting of two cows and a mare three pigs....' Bit hard to read without any punctuation, but fascinating! TEN cottages :o

Probably need to buy Mary's 2nd husband's will now (1886) to see what happened afterwards, though I've just realised that this one doesn't mention the White Swan, but we know that Mary and Thomas and family are subsequent landlords. Wonder what happened to all his money (£1240) if his son William left less than £200 in 1893 and his step son, the Thomas born in 1837, was in debt and had to leave the White Swan in 1902/3.

Deirdre   

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Deirdre
that is great news, but as always it leads to another question of how he got ownership of all this property, purchased or family inheritance  (all adds to the intrigue)  ;D
Ten cottages in Llanfrynach - that  must be half the village !
I've had a look at the 1840 tithe map and there are hardly more than 25 properties shown in the village centre.
http://cynefin.archiveswales.org.uk/en/tithe-maps/georeference/#Llanfrynach&/transcribe/805681566773/&/georeference/780637847144/&/visualize/780637847144&&/map/235569113733/
Surname Interests

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 20:38 BST (UK) »
Deirdre, have you seen these three links in Google books (search with text below in books), only snippet views so cant read it all I'm afraid

THE plaintiff, Thomas Davies the younger, was heir-at-law of his mother Mary Davies. She died intestate on the 19th Aug. 1851 ... in the county of Brecon. Upon the death of Mary Davies, her husband, Thomas Davies the elder, became entitled ...

The plaintiff claimed as heir-at-law of Mary Davies, who died intestate in August, 1851, seized in fee of the property which was the subject of the lease in question, and which consisted of an inn and a blacksmith's shop at Llanfrynach, Brecon. Upon the death of Mary Davies, her husband, Thomas Davies, became entitled to the property during his life as tenant by the curtesy, and by the lease, which ...

Thomas Davies was tenant by the curtesy in right of his deceased wife, Mary Davies, of the White Swan Inn at Llanfrynach, and on the 28th of October, 1885, granted, in exercise of the power conferred upon him by the Settled Estates Act, 1877 ..

Mar
Surname Interests