Author Topic: Looking for Descendants of James McParland and Alice Bennet of Newry, Co. Armagh  (Read 4141 times)

Offline bluesapphire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone,

I had my DNA tested with 23andMe as I am seeking descendants of James McParland born 1835 and his wife Alice (Maiden Name Bennet born 1836.  Both are from County Armagh.  Alice is the daughter of Joseph Bennet and Catherine (Maiden Name Garland) and the parents of James McParland are Michael McParland and his wife Elizabeth (Maiden Name O'Neil).  James I believe is from Newry.

One of the tree owners who has a public tree on Ancestry.com had their DNA tested also with 23andMe.com   Her family tree is named as Carroll/Lafond Family Tree.  The Tree owner is my 3rd Cousin according to DNA testing.  DNA testing also confirms she is related to me through my Father.

I have looked up this Tree Owners Carroll/Lafond tree and compared her tree with other trees and discovered the surname in common is McParland and the ancestry of all the tree owners originates in Newry, County Armagh.  It only took a second to realize why DNA testing revealed I am 61% Irish.

The trouble is I am having a problem figuring out who I am descended from?  As this person is my 3rd Cousin this means our "Common Ancestors" are our Great, Great Grandparents.  Therefore, if any of you are familiar with DNA testing and you think you can assist me with constructing my family tree I would be most grateful to hear from you.  You will find my tree listed under Bullock Family Tree (2)  Please search for me under Family Trees.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help or hearing from any "Descendants" of James and Alice.  Thank you very much.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I can understand some people will decide to use DNA to further their research but that doesn't mean they should forget about old-fashioned research methods.

In your case, the logical things is to trace each branch of your father's family back to see if you can establish a link.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bluesapphire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you Aghadowey for kindly responding.  Unfortunately for me I cannot trace back in time because my Father is not known to me.  I will have to use this tree and attempt to research forward in time.  To do this will entail finding siblings, finding who the siblings married and then finding children born of that marriage. I will have to repeat this process for each generation.  A very laborious task to undertake but a necessary one.

I would welcome assistance from anyone who shares DNA with James McParland and Alice Bennet, or anyone who just wants to help me.  For details of James and Alice please see my original post.  Thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Not really straght forward then. The problem is that the 'McParland' ancestor could be back at the start and your father could be the illegitimate son of an illegitimate son, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bluesapphire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Aghadowey,

Thanks for pointing that out, that thought never occurred to me, and that would definitely complicate things.  I have decided the best cause of action is to replicate my 3rd Cousins tree. I will make a start by starting a new tree based on my cousins tree and see what happens.  Hopefully, as I add new names a 'leaf" will appear and hints will include family related trees whom I can reach out to.  This is not an easy task by any means.  In fact finding closely related relatives could be very challenging; and explaining my relationship to anyone I am lucky to find is an obstacle that will not be easy to overcome.  As this 3rd Cousin of mine has two ancestors named James McParland and Alice Bennet I will call my new tree McParland/Bennet Family Tree.  I will give you a heads up when I make a start as I would appreciate another pair of eyes i.e. your eyes perusing my tree.

I appreciate having this conversation with you.  It has helped me to arrive at a decision i.e. to start a new tree and see what happens.  Thank you for that.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Descendants of James McParland and Alice Bennet of Newry, Co. Armagh
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, these are the siblings of both James McParland & Alice Bennet.

Bennets:
Alice  bap: 16 Jan 1836
John  bap: 5 Dec 1837
Mary Jane  bap: 30 May 1840
Ann  bap: 16 Sept 1842
Joseph  bap: 24 Aug 1847
Sarah  bap: 6 March 1851
Brigid  bap:20 April 1854

McParlands:
Patrick  bap: 19 Jan 1825
Mary Ann  bap: 18 July 1833
James  bap: 7 Dec 1835
Elizabeth  bap: 25 Dec 1838

In the 1901 census there is a James McParland  age 70 in Ballana, Camlough, Armagh residing with his son Patrick 40, daughter in law Catherine & grandchildren. Could this be your James?
I found three children to James & Alice- James 31 May 1865, Rose  4 Nov 1867 & James  21 May 1872. There are a few other children to a James McParland and an Alice Hanlon in the same place as your James & Alice. Odd. I hope something may help, Kim

Offline bluesapphire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Descendants of James McParland and Alice Bennet of Newry, Co. Armagh
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 October 15 00:34 BST (UK) »
Dear Blemdookie,

Thank you so much for responding to my post on this website.  I have no idea how you found the siblings of Alice Bennet, but I am most grateful for your response.  I have no idea how to trace the descendants of the siblings you have found.

I am interested in the descendants of John Bennet baptized 5 Dec 1837 and Joseph Bennet baptized 24 Aug 1847.

If you think it would be possible to search for a potential wife for both John and Joseph and find their children, I would be very happy to hear from you again.  I did not think it was possible to trace forwards, but you have given me a glimmer of hope.  I hope to hear back from you soon. 

Thank you very much for contacting me.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 October 15 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, I located a marriage for John but could not find one for Joseph.

Marriage:
26 January 1866
Armagh CI
John Bennett     full age
add: Umgola
occ: carpenter
father: Joseph Bennett   occ: carpenter
Jane Riddall      full age
add: kennedies Aughavilly
occ: servant
father: Robert Riddall    occ: labourer
witnesses: John Briggs & Catherine Briggs
* note says they were married in the Church of St Mark's- United Church of England & Ireland by license.

I couldn't locate any records for children of this marriage.

I found a will excerpt for John Bennett, Lislasley, co Armagh farmer who died 5 May 1897 to Jane Bennett the widow (this could be your John)

As to Joseph, I could not find a marriage for him in the parish registers. However, there are 5 marriages for Joseph Bennett on groin.ie. You wuld have to look at the advanced search to see if any of them are the son of Joseph Bennett. The listings are 1873 Belfast reg, 1874 Ballymena reg, 1886 Belfast reg., 1895 Armagh reg., & 1897 Down reg.
Hope this helps, Kim

Offline bluesapphire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 October 15 08:08 BST (UK) »
Dear Blemdookie,

Thank you for the marriage for John Bennet.  He probably never had any children.

As for sibling Joseph you list 5 potential marriages, thank you so much for finding these marriages.  I am not familiar with groin.ie.?  I tried adding www. but alas no website appeared.  Would you mind providing me with the full name of the website and web address.

I deeply appreciate you assisting me.  Thank you.

Blue Sapphire