Author Topic: date photos please martin, jones, sturdy - australia sydney  (Read 2502 times)

Offline thosca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
date photos please martin, jones, sturdy - australia sydney
« on: Sunday 19 July 15 12:08 BST (UK) »
Recently from family member have been shown the three items attached.

First is in memoriam card William Sturdy Jones died 1900 - his youngest daughter Florence Amelia Jones married George Martin in Ashfield, New South Wales 18 sept 1915.  George was brother of Thomas Martin who is my grandfather; our branch of the family still in Hamilton area where the family originated.
Second item is photograph/postcard - on the reverse is from Thelma Studios 106b King Street Sydney.
Third item is Talma Studios, Melbourne photograph.
Nothing on the photographs indicates who the two ladies are and we would like to give them names.

Background we know that George Martin and his sister Wilhelmina (born 16 May 1865 Hamilton died at Edensor, St James Park, Sydney 18 Oct 1950) went to Australia from Scotland around late nineteenth/early twentieth century and we have record of them through electoral rolls.

Any help any one can give in identifying these two ladies will be appreciated - always happy to receive and share information.

With advance thanks

Sandra

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: date photos please martin, jones, sturdy - australia sydney
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 15 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  If you are in Australia try and borrow the following from your library:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/17079993

Talma studios were inn operation from 1899-1912.

Leanne

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 July 15 12:52 BST (UK) »
The 1st. portrait is Edwardian. Difficult to say which part but I suspect the second half, 1905-10.
She looks to be 40-45 so someone born 1860-70 would be about right.
The 2nd. portrait is also Edwardian & she looks to be 16-18.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline thosca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 August 15 16:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for info - will follow up - a bit far to go to the library as we are in Scotland

Again thanks

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 August 15 01:40 BST (UK) »
Recently from family member have been shown the three items attached.

First is in memoriam card William Sturdy Jones died 1900 - his youngest daughter Florence Amelia Jones married George Martin in Ashfield, New South Wales 18 sept 1915.  George was brother of Thomas Martin who is my grandfather; our branch of the family still in Hamilton area where the family originated.
Second item is photograph/postcard - on the reverse is from Thelma Studios 106b King Street Sydney.
Third item is Talma Studios, Melbourne photograph.
Nothing on the photographs indicates who the two ladies are and we would like to give them names.

Background we know that George Martin and his sister Wilhelmina (born 16 May 1865 Hamilton died at Edensor, St James Park, Sydney 18 Oct 1950) went to Australia from Scotland around late nineteenth/early twentieth century and we have record of them through electoral rolls.

Any help any one can give in identifying these two ladies will be appreciated - always happy to receive and share information.

With advance thanks

Sandra

Hi there Sandra,   

I notice you mention you have your George and your Wilhelmina on the electoral rolls.   May I ask if you have them on the 1903 and or 1913 NSW rolls?     

May I also ask if you have copy of Wilhelmina MARTIN's NSW death registration as it will give you 'how long in the colonies' as well as other family history information, and cause of death, and burial/cremation information.  Official transcriptions from NSW BDM appointed Official Transcription agents are a good alternative to the real deal certificates. 

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx 

Here's a link to the free to search Sands Directories that may help your quest.
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/sands-directory

I have posted on your thread on the Australia board
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=728842.0

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 August 15 01:49 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/18177640 Sydney Morning Herald 20 Oct 1950

MARTIN Wilhemina -October 18, 1950 at her residence Edensor Road, St John's Park loved sister of George Martin of Edensor Park and Thomas Martin of Hamilton Scotland: Privately cremated at Rookwood 19th October 1950.

Edensor is the name of a Road in the Sydney suburb of St John's Park.
Edensor Park is another Sydney suburb, near to St John's Park.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline thosca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 August 15 16:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM for suggestions - the earliest electoral roll I have so far is 1930 when George and Wilhelmina and George's wife Florence Amelia at Edensor, St John's Park; I've traced forward from there.  I'll backtrack from 1930 and see what I come up with - in the 1903 rolll I had found a Wilhelmina in Brisbane but no way of knowing if our Wilhelmina.

Do not at present have death certificates - have the dates and will look into obtaining certificates.

Again thanks

Thosca