Author Topic: Jane Withers@ 1855  (Read 4803 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Withers@ 1855
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 July 15 06:12 BST (UK) »
I also thought Harker/Harper might have been transcribed wrong but this obviously the same person
1871 Census Fanny Harker b 1835 age 46 address Reids Square Ayr asst worker
William McGregor age 45 lodger

1881 Census Fanny Harker age 46 62,Reids Square Ayr
Agnes Howie b 1876 Ayrshire  age 5 granddaughter

Birth for Thomas Harker 17/3/1859 Ayr mother Fanny Harker
There is a Catherine Harker b 21/2/1858 mother Fanny Harker this Catherine obviously died as not on the 1861 census ....I match for a death on Scotlands People 1858-1858
Not seeing a birth so far for Jane

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 July 15 06:29 BST (UK) »
Not seeing Fanny Harker in the 1891 census but 1 match for a death for Fanny Harker in 1891 Ayr might be worth getting to see who registered the death just to confirm the connection
Rosie

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 July 15 13:10 BST (UK) »
It may be that "nee Harper" has been misheard/misread on both certificates & it is Harker!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 July 15 13:19 BST (UK) »
It may be that "nee Harper" has been misheard/misread on both certificates & it is Harker!
flst
Yes thought that  ;D

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 July 15 13:23 BST (UK) »
The 1851 Census transcription on www.freecen.org.uk/ has a Frances Harker age 19 , with parents Thomas and Cathrine , at Newton Ayr Ayrshire.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 July 15 13:57 BST (UK) »
Both wedding & death certs give Jane's mother's maiden name as Harper, its quite distinct. Thanks all the same to those who have replied to my question.

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 July 15 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie 17- The Agnes Howie you have on the  in Reid's Square 1881 census isn't the one I'm related to. My Agnes Dunlop Howie in 1881 is living with her parents in Troon.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 13:29 BST (UK) »
If Jane was born in 1855 you are in for a real treat as the births in Scotland that year were full of information...........the only year to have this though  ;D

Unfortunately the chances are that, in spite of what that census transcription says, she was not born in 1855.

On census day, 7 April 1861, Jane was 6 years old. Therefore (assuming that her age in the census is accurate) she was born between 8 April 1854 and 7 April 1855. It doesn't take a genius to realise that there were therefore 8 months and 23 days of 1854, and only 3 months and 3 days in 1855, in which she could have been born. Therefore it is about three times more likely that she was born in 1854 than 1855.

I wish these sites that offer census transcriptions would refrain from miscalculating people's supposed year of birth by subtracting their age in the census from the census year. The year of birth is not in the original census, and doing this gives a wrong answer three times out of four.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie 17- The Agnes Howie you have on the  in Reid's Square 1881 census isn't the one I'm related to. My Agnes Dunlop Howie in 1881 is living with her parents in Troon.

Is this you Agnes transcribed Agness Dunlop Howie b 1875 age 6 in the 1881 census at Acadamy St Troon Ayrshire
Father George Howie b 1850 ship carpenter
Mother Elisibeth Buchanan Howie ?