Author Topic: Gushue Genealogy in Jersry  (Read 5934 times)

Offline DrGushue97

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gushue Genealogy in Jersry
« on: Monday 20 July 15 00:07 BST (UK) »
I have done extensive research on the Gushues in Newfoundland, but have been stymied in my efforts to look up my jersey roots. The alpha Gushue I have discovered is one Timothy Gushue, who was born in Jersey around 1702 am migrated to Newfoundland to take up permanent residence in the Bacon Cove area somewhere around 1720. Could someone point me to the records I need to look for to carry the Gushue line back to Jersey. I have been told that the Jersey records were spirited to London during WWII to keep them away from the Nazis and never returned. Any truth to that story? In an event, any help that can be rendered would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Pete Gushue
Williamsburg, VA

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gushue Genealogy in Jersry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 15 01:00 BST (UK) »
Jersey records are safely ensconced at the Jersey Archive, www.jerseyheritage.org however the name Gushue does not appear in their catalogue. As far as I can see the only Timothy (or Timothee as it would be in our records) baptized around 1702 is one Timothee Mourant. There are no Timothee Guchies or even Gruchys which is the nearest equivalent name I can think of. 
Where did you find the information giving his name?

Offline DrGushue97

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 July 15 03:15 BST (UK) »
I forgot to add a few details that might help. First, there are several spellings of the Gushue surname as it has evolved over the centuries. One is "Gosue," which was the first known spelling in Newfoundland. Another is "Guizot," which family lore says is the original name. It is believed that the surname as such originated in either Brittany or Normandy.  The bearers of that name came to Jersey sometime in the Middle Ages. Second, the Gushues/Gosues who emigrated to Newfoundland were Catholic. On the island, they originally had to practice their faith in secret. If they did the same in Jersey, might their baptisms, marriages, etc have been recorded "off the books"?

Offline Nora276

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 September 15 04:57 BST (UK) »
Hello..I'm also researching/searching the GUSHUE name..I'm from Newfoundland and Labrador in Canada. My maternal GrGrandmother's maiden name is GUSHUE, b. abt. 1860 and baptism recorded in the Harbour Main District of Conception Bay, NL. (old spelling/name reference to the province was, Newfoundland)..I recently found the marriage record for my 2xGrGrandparents in the Archives at The Rooms in St. John's, NL...I'm also wondering just where did the original GUSHUE ancestors immigrate from?? The name spelling has taken on many spellings in various records - Gosue; Goodshoe; Goodshou; Guizot; etc..there is a headstone found in an old cemetery in Harbour Main for a John "Gosue" with his wife, Rachel and son, John for early 1800's..Dr. Gushue, you state that you found "The alpha Gushue I have discovered is one Timothy Gushue, who was born in Jersey around 1702 am migrated to Newfoundland to take up permanent residence in the Bacon Cove area somewhere around 1720" - what is your source(s)?..I've been searching for over 7 years and have been in contact with another searcher (with over 40+ years searching)..we've never seen any records, lists, details regarding a Timothy Gushue 1702 time period..he can trace his Gushue genealogy back to a John Gushue in the late 1700's to Bacon Cove...I'd appreciate sharing info with you, regards, Nora.

Offline Marie Sullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 December 17 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Nora.

My grgrandmother was Rachel Gushue.  She was married to Patrick O'Sullivan and they lived in Chapel's Cove.  Sadly, a tragic fire claimed Patrick's life, as well as three of their small children, Rachel, Mary and Charlie.  This occurred in 1893.  Rachel left newfoundland around 1924 and lived here in New Jersey with my grandfather, John J. Sullivan.  Could this be the same family?  Would love to know more.

Offline Nora276

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gushue Genealogy in Jersey and Conception Bay, Newfoundland
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 December 17 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marie..it is wonderful to connect with you. I am from the Conception Bay Center area which involves your research. Over the years I have seen the names you mention in your family - GUSHUE & SULLIVAN - as I pursue my own family research.

Since posting my message regarding my maternal GrGrandmother, Bridget (b. 1860, GUSHUE) who married my GrGrandfather, David Whelan of Colliers. I do not have specific info about her parents/my 2xGrGrandparents. The closest connection I could find to a couple havinf children in this time frame with a Bridget baptised in 1860 to - Timothy & Catherine (Phelan/Whelan) GUSHUE of Cats Cove/Conception Harbour in Conception Bay..the baptism took place at Sts Peter & Paul RC Church in Harbour Main..there were also at least two other children baptised between 1859 - 1862.

Next, I found a couple with the same names - Timothy & Catherine (Whelan) GUSHUE located in Bonavista Bay. Not unusual, as I believe he was a fisherman as were many in his family. I found a marriage record in 1858 for - Timothy GUSHUE, born abt. 1833 at Cats Cove, Conc. Bay and Catherine (Whelan, b. abt. 1838, Indian Arm, Bonavista Bay)..having more children between 1864 -  1879.

I believe this is the same couple as parents to my maternal GrGrandmother, Bridget (GUSHUE, b. 1860) WHELAN.

Marie, if you are interested, we can exchange emails as I do have extensive research done on the GUSHUE surname.

Best regards, Nora

Offline Marie Sullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 December 17 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Nora.  I'd be happy to exchange emails.  (*)  Also very excited to finally connect with a real voice on the other end of my endless research!  I will wait to hear from you and am happy to provide and/or exchange whatever information I have.

Looking forward.......

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Nora276

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 December 17 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marie..I will contact you!

Best regards, Nora

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 December 17 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie Sullivan,

Please kindly remove your e-mail address to protect your privacy and to avoid spamming from your post.

You will find that we do communicate via Personal Messager here--that is where you can give your e-mail address to Nora.

And a moderator will remove your e-mail address if you have not edit your post.

Thanks,

Tees