Author Topic: James Cunningham and Family connections to Leith and Bonnington in Edinburgh  (Read 5282 times)

Offline bjh1225

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Cunningham and Family connections to Leith and Bonnington in Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 October 15 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Kim,  "Thank You" for your time and generosity on searching for the Cunningham data.  I have all of it that has occurred in the USA from the time of the arrival of Andrew in 1834.  His brother John died on 25 Sept, 1838 in Cass Co, IL so that is why you could not find him on censuses.

Actually, their father, James, came as a soldier for King George just prior to our Revolutionary War.  He changed sides and joined the US militia.  He stayed for a abt 2 yrs then returned to Scotland where he married Marion Wright.  Her name comes down through the family histories so she probably is the  B. Wright who ma James Cunningham in 1782.   He was a baker in Bonnington, Midlothian and owned a lot of real estate there.  It is said the towns people called him 'Auld Laird'.  He and Marion Wright supposedly had 3 dghts and 5 sons.

Because of the repetition of given names it is hard to sort the children of the various members of this Cunningham ancestral family.   James and Marion had a son, Charles, that was a representative of the British govt and died in the Black Sea area of Russia while on duty there.  Son Archibald supposedly died in Scotland;  sons, Andrew, George,  and John removed to Cass Co IL.  Dght Jeanette supposedly married a man named Shain and lived in England,  Margaret ma Henry Blair, and Mary married __ Russell.      I have not been able to confirm his death but supposedly the father ,James Cunningham, died in 1845.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

I also have thought that the marriage record of John Cunningham to HELEN  Taylor on 22 May, 1823 is most surely the John that removed to Cass Co IL.   Do you know if there was any other info on that marriage that would prove it was the John of my research?
I am going to print off what you have posted so I can compare it with the info that I have.

Again,  MUCH APPRECIATION for your assistance.    Bettye in California :)

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Cunningham and Family connections to Leith and Bonnington in Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 October 15 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bettye, no problem. As to the marriage of John to Helen Taylor sadly there is no other information to be had, not even the father of John- just Helen's. The old records are great but have no where near the info on 1855 & later. Scottish records are brilliant tho' compared to others like Irish records. If I can help further let me know. Hope something helps, Kim

Offline bjh1225

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 October 15 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Kim,  you went all out in your effort to find the Cunningham info.  I am very appreciative of your effort and generosity.

Regards,  Bettye

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 November 15 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bettye, I just wonder if this could be the B. Wright of the marriage? Perhaps your Marion?

Birth:

Betty Wright
born: 28 August 1765
place: Saint Cuthbert's, Edinburgh
father: John Wright
mother: Mary McNeal

Maybe??  Kim

Offline bjh1225

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 November 15 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Kim,  I will write this info into my records.  Do you think that it is possible that there are any land transactions in Bonnington where the name of James's wife is listed ?  He was a baker and supposedly owned an extensive amt of real estate in Bonnington.

Thanks for 'going the extra mile' in this quest for info.

Regards,  Bettye

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 November 15 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Does "Wright" not mean his occupation?

Skoosh.

Offline bjh1225

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 November 15 00:02 GMT (UK) »
James Cunningham was a baker.  The townspeople of Bonnington called him 'Auld Laird'.    I know nothing abt Marion Wright's parents.

Regards,  Bettye

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 November 15 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Do you think that it is possible that there are any land transactions in Bonnington where the name of James's wife is listed ?  He was a baker and supposedly owned an extensive amt of real estate in Bonnington.

If he actually owned land and buildings, then there will be references in the Registers of Sasines. See

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=26232.0
and
http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/sasines
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.