Author Topic: SIT and DBSIG now "mobile friendly" / Added: "Ancestral Anniversaries" too !  (Read 1244611 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
... or at least "mobile friendlier:)

I've been making various modification so that these projects
Database for Special Interests Groups (DBSIG) and Surname Interests Table (SIT)
will display better on mobile and hand-held devices.

The major changes are now finished, but there are still lots of fine details, that need seeing to.

As I don't have any of these devices myself (yet) I have used a simulator while doing the development work. So if you have a mobile device, please let me know here how it looks, and whether there are any major errors.

Thanks,
Bob

ps.
The other Reference Library projects will follow, as time permits.

Access:
Click on the Reference Library link at the bottom of any page.
Click on the project of your choice in projects menu.
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SIT and DBSIG now "mobile friendly"
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 15 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,
           I had hoped to have run a few tests today on my cheapo 7 inch Android tablet but wasn't able to. One item that I had noticed as a problem after a previous improvement for 'mobile' and that hasn't changed (by the look of it) is the magnifying glass icon on Quick Search.

The image map is not clearly defined enough to get the page view I have found. I always get the link from the surname. A bit more space surrounding the image might help and maybe an enlarged map. I should say that I have very dainty fingers! And I haven't tried it with a stylus.

One of the things I want to test is a change of browser. I've gone over to Firefox so I want to try it with the original built-in browser again. This has its drawbacks (it can't handle "#jump-to's" in another HTML file for instance) but may be more responsive to the problem in question.

alanmack
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 09:31 BST (UK) »
... and that hasn't changed (by the look of it) is the magnifying glass icon on Quick Search. [...] A bit more space surrounding the image might help and maybe an enlarged map.

Good point !  The original icon was 16x16 pixels.  I've now replaced with a 20x20px icon.

If that doesn't work, I've also got a 24x24px icon in reserve .....

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 July 15 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

The original icon was 16x16 pixels.  I've now replaced with a 20x20px icon.
If that doesn't work, I've also got a 24x24px icon in reserve .....

Finally been able to try out the change which seems to work better. I hope the icon used is a temporary one as the old one was nicer looking. I thought the same end might be acheived by padding the original image a few pixels, either the 'hspace' attribute or actually making the image 16x19 with the magnifying glass over to the left side.

A similar problem with Quick Search (on my 7in tablet) occurs next screen when you are presented with the alphabet. The spacing is very tight even for my small finger tips. I did get myself a stylus - waste of time and money as it is too big and too insensitive.

Hope to look further in the next day or two.

alanmack
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SIT and DBSIG now "mobile friendly" / Added: "Ancestral Anniversaries" too !
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 August 15 12:50 BST (UK) »
The Ancestral Anniversaries ("On this Day ...") database is now also "mobile friendlier" :)

http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/otday/index.php

Bob

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SIT and DBSIG now "mobile friendly" / Added: "Ancestral Anniversaries" too !
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 July 20 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,
I was just adding some names to my surname interests.....
I didn't find HUNGARY on the countries list.... or was I being cross-eyed?  ???
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 October 23 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hello

Researching Pellow family from Cornwall

Heddwch
Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***