Author Topic: Honour/Honner families of Charlton on Otmoor  (Read 8376 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Honour/Honner families of Charlton on Otmoor
« on: Monday 20 July 15 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have posted previously about the Kirtland family and now I would like to further investigate a branch of this tree, which is Martha Honour the wife of John Kirtland, who married in Charlton on Otmoor in 1773.

I have found a will for John Hale of Oddington in which he names Martha Honour, and others, as grandchildren and beneficiaries in his will (1758). He only names one daughter, Mary Honour, wife of Robert. I am assuming all of the grandchildren of the surname Honour are the children of daughter Mary (Robert, Thomas, John, Marlin, Elizabeth, Mary, Ann, Martha and Gabriel), but there is also a grandchild named Mary Jesset.

I think this places Martha in the family of Robert Honour who married Mary Hale in 1733. I believe Robert to be a son of Robert and Margaret Honner of Wendlebury, who had lands in Oddington.

As I am working only with transcribed wills and the scant information on Family Search I am not having much luck. I can find no baptism for Martha. Is anyone able to help? I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Honour/Honner families of Charlton on Otmoor
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 15 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
Well this is going to be a puzzle to unpick for sure.
I assume you do not have access to the St Marys Church, Charlton on Otmoor PR's?

In those that have been transcribed by Oxfordshire Family History Society and put on CD - OXF-BIC01 there are many Honour/ Honor for you to find. I strongly recommend you consider purchasing this CD as to find the info you want and I can see a lot of it but it takes some unpicking!!!

Robert Honour married after banns to Mary HALE both of Charlton on 25 Aug 1733

Robert Honour bapt 27 Sept 1733 s o Robert and Mary

Mary Jessett bapt 6 March 1731/2 d o John & Elizabeth of Charlton

John Jessett of Charlton married after banns to Elisabeth PHILLIPS of Fencot. Married in Queens College Chapel, Oxford

Martha Honour otp marr John KIRTLAND of Marsh Gibbon Co, Bucks after banns on 5 July 1773. Wits: Daniel Horns & Edmd Rice

Marling Honor spin marr Joseph HIGGS botp by license on 3 June 1819. Wits: John Kirtland & Sarah Williams

Have a look at the above and think about what it means and what you want looked up next then let me know.

Hope it helps

NDRFT

Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I do not have access to the PR's (I'm in Australia) so maybe it would be worth ordering a CD. Ideally I'd like to find a baptism for Martha so I can confirm her ties to the Honour/Honner families in Charlton on Otmoor. I suspect she is a daughter of Robert Honour and Mary nee Hale but without the baptism I can't really piece together her ancestry. My clue was the Hale will that named Martha Honour, the only mention I have found of the name anywhere before the marriage of Martha to John Kirtland.

If you happen upon a baptism for her, or any other children of Robert and Mary, that would be really helpful. If there are too many to sort through I will happily take your recommendation of acquiring the CD!

Many thanks,

Kelly.

Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Kelly

I have had a really good look for a baptism of Martha and between 1730 and 1770 there 9 baptisms where the name Martha was used. Sadly none of the family names were relevant. However within the 9 there is one possibility which you may discard but......

On 13 Jan 1734 at St Marys Chruch a girl was baptised Martha d o a beggar woman - no last name entered for mother nor child, no father entered but......

look at the dates and I just wonder if Robert or another family member had a 'thing' with this lady and a child came along - which after baptism, he later adopted as his and Mary's, they kept the first name . gave her their family name and then she later married in 1773.

If thats not her then I dont know?????

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
Robert and Mary are in the PR's of St Marys having the following children baptised:

Robert 27 Sept 1733
Thomas 9 March 1735
Merlin (d o) 16 Jan 1737
Elizabeth 14 Jan 1739
John 27 Feb 1743 (private baptism)
Mary 28 Dec 1745
Ann 5 May 1748 - mothers name not entered

Hope these help as well.

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

Thank you very much, it helps a lot even though no Martha  ???

The names of the children of Robert and Mary align with the known grandchildren of John Hale, with the exception of there being no Martha, Gabriel or John, which I had expected to also be children of theirs. Martha's husband John Kirtland was born in 1748 so I would put her birth likely somewhere between then and the early 1750s. I guess I will have to expect she was baptised elsewhere or they just didn't record it. Very frustrating when I have that link to Martha in the 1758 will!

I really appreciate your help in looking them up, thank you.

Kelly.

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 09:20 BST (UK) »
I've just ordered the Bicester district CD which includes Charlton and Oddington. Hopefully she can be found in one of those! Thanks  :)

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 10:02 BST (UK) »
Kelly

That's a great idea ordering the CD which is exactly what I am looking at. In fact I have the 37 of the 42 items in the OFHS PR collection.

Another way to look for Martha's baptism is to ask the Oxfordshire Family History Society who have a county wide baptism index and see if she is in there.

They may levy a very small charge for such a look up, but if she was baptised in Oxfordshire and it was recorded, they are so thorough, she will be on that list.
If they find her and she is not on the CD you have ordered come back here?

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 10:13 BST (UK) »
I do see a baptism of Gabriel s o John and Elizabeth on 26 Sept 1735 again in St Marys and this could well be the one you are looking for.
There are a couple of potential Johns but again different parents to your quest but the years fit so perhaps the will you have refers to another family / other families as well as Robert & Mary?

I wonder if Mary and Elizabeth were sisters who married brothers?

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,