Author Topic: 1851 census look up for Michael Gibbons  (Read 2693 times)

Offline grlune

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Grandad - John Gibbons (1920-2008)
    • View Profile
1851 census look up for Michael Gibbons
« on: Monday 20 July 15 18:50 BST (UK) »
... trying to find Michael Gibbons born circa 1813. In 1841 he is with wife Martha family in London occupation pearl worker. In 1851 he is not with Martha and family  (again in London).  I have his death cert stating he died in 1855 aged 42 in Birmingham, Martha was informant. Martha is on 1861 in Birmingham. 

Thanks
Graham

NAMES & PLACES OF INTEREST:

EDWIN/MOISEY - Evesham (Worcs) and Birmmingam (Warks)
GIBBONS/GURNEY - Rugby (Warks),  Hackney (London)
HUGHES - Bromsgrove (Worcs)
LEACH/HEYWOOD/STANLEY/CATHRO - Toronto (Ontario, CANADA)
LUNE/LOON/LOONE - Birmingham, Fillongley and Coleshill (Warks), Nelson (Lancs)
VINCENT/HUNTER - Bloxham (Oxon), Kenilworth (Warks) and Huyton, Roby near Liverpool

*Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census look up for Michael Gibbons
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 09:32 BST (UK) »
There is a Michael Gibbons in Scotland b 1811 Ireland who could be him I know it says he was born in Middlesex on the 1841 census but that may have been incorrect

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline grlune

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:07 BST (UK) »
thank you Willow ... do you have the census details at all please? Would be interesting to see where he actually is and who he's living with.  I don't have any subscription left and I don't think the Scottish census is freely available ?

Cheers
Graham

VINCENT/HUNTER - Bloxham (Oxon), Kenilworth (Warks) and Huyton, Roby near Liverpool

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hiya Graham

Looking at this further I am not sure this is the right Michael but the details are

Semes Court Edinburgh

Michael Gibbons 40 b Ireland Domestic Farm Labourer
Bridget Gibbons 10 b Ireland
Ann Gibbons 9 b Ireland

But there is also the following at 1 Court Key Hill Birmingham

Michael Gibbons 28 b Roscommon Ireland bricklayers labourer
Martha Gibbons 25 b Castle Reay Ireland

HO104/2059/256/2

Gibbons mainly seems to be an Irish surname looking at the early census who are you following that has got you back to Michael and Martha?

Also have you noticed that there is a death of a Michael Gibbons 1850 in London?

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline grlune

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
... ah thanks for looking Willow. I thought the Scottish one may have been him but I don't think so now. I'm assuming Bridget and Ann are described as his daughters?

I have the correct death cert for Michael in 1855 Birmingham which describing him as pearl worker journeyman, which is why I got excited when you mentioned your Scottish find.  In 1841 he is also Pearl worker. It's possible I guess that he may have been missed being counted in 1851 if he was travelling.  There could be an Irish connection but I have yet to establish it.  I haven't been able to locate a baptism around 1813 in London yet.  So unfortunate for me he couldn't have waited a few more years until after 1837 to get married lol.

Thanks again, Graham

Offline grlune

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 11:12 BST (UK) »
... It was Edward Gibbons born 1849,  Marylebone - that linked me to parents Michael and Martha (nee Bowden).

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 11:14 BST (UK) »
No very strangely it didn't give the relationship of Bridget and Ann on the census

As you say maybe he just got missed on the census my GG Grandfather died in 1882 but I have never managed to find him on the 1881 census although I found his wife and the rest of the family easily

I will have a look on other sites and see if I can come up with some more information

Willow x

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you have the marriage

24.8.1834 at St Andrews Holborn Middlesex Michael Gibbons to Martha Bowden

Willow x

Offline grlune

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 11:38 BST (UK) »
... ah yes, thanks Willow - I have the marriage.  I hate missing persons in the census lol... and untraceable births. Such is the fun lol.  Would appreciate another pair of eyes looking for his bapt c.1813 London.  I wonder if Pearl Workers were of Irish origin ?  Would there be any records for Irish settlers/migrants I/to London ?

Graham