Author Topic: Crocketts of Stornoway  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crocketts of Stornoway
« on: Monday 20 July 15 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm researching the Crockett family and I seem to have hit a brick wall. I'm trying to find information on two siblings, Jessie and William Crockett.

Jessie was born on 28th October 1892 at Laxdale, Stornoway and William was born on 3rd October 1898 at 48 Bayhead Street, Stornoway. Their parents were James Crockett and Annie Graham; James' family were originally from Lossiemouth.

I have information on all of the other children (Nellie Ann, Catherine Mary, James, Malcolm and Catherine Mary (named after older sister)), but I can't seem to find details for William and Jessie. I know that their brother, Malcolm, was killed in WW1 and their sister Catherine emigrated to America. Crockett is a relatively unusual name in the Stornoway area which is why I was surprised I couldn't find anything. I do know William fought in the war and when Malcolm died references were made to his family when recorded in the 1901 census.

I'd be grateful to anyone who could help me out as it seems likely that William and Jessie emigrated.

Thanks,

Greg

Offline derek3009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Crocketts of Stornoway
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 15 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Greg,

I too am researching the Crockett's from Lossiemouth.

Don't know about William, but can tell you that Jessie emigrated to Canada in 1911 and married John McIver.

Derek

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 15 16:42 BST (UK) »
Re William Crockett, Find My Past has a merchant seaman's record/ticket (minimal details) for a William Crockett, DoB 3/10/1898, born Stornaway. It refers to the birth certificate being produced on 3/12/34

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek,

Thanks very much for that. Although I couldn't find a marriage date I did find that they had a son in 1913 called Malcolm Donald McIver. He died in 1969 in Los Angeles. It seems that the family moved from Canada to America; couldn't find a death for Jessie Crockett but there's a possible death for John McIver in 1959. I did find it interesting that John McIver was born in Canada, especially since his surname is so common in the Highland area - I'm assuming his family were Scottish and emigrated before he was born. John and Jessie also had a daughter, but I'm not sure if she's living or not so I won't post the details.

As for William Crockett, I haven't found anything on him yet though I suppose it's possible that he emigrated to America too. Their sister, Catherine Crockett, married in the Stornoway area and also moved out to California; I'm guessing that Jessie went out to live near her.

Thanks,

Greg

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 November 15 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all - my closest Crockett is Janet Crocket b 1800 who married John Stewart in 1889. Janet died in 1889.  Her parents were William Crockett b approx 1793 and Janet Young who were married in 1796.  Are they in either of your trees and have you got further back than 1793 for this line?
Anne - Qld, Australia
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords