Author Topic: Walter Butters Criminal Record pre 1874 Besthorpe area  (Read 2989 times)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Walter Butters Criminal Record pre 1874 Besthorpe area
« on: Monday 20 July 15 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

I knew hubbys ancestor Walter Butters had a criminal record from a newspaper report April 1880 and was sentenced to 21 days at Norwich Castle Gaol as he couldn't afford to pay the fine for being drunk and disorderly, today I found a H0104 record on FindMyPast for attempted theft January 1874, but there is a mention of previous sentences of one misdemeanour 7 days and summarily one larceny 1 calendar month, but I've not found these so any help would be appreciated.

There is a mention of Bill Ignored, I've not seen that before, any ideas what it means?

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Butters Criminal Record pre 1874 Besthorpe area
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:08 BST (UK) »
No Bill:
 A term that the foreman of the Grand Jury writes across the face of a bill of indictment (a document drawn up by a prosecutor that states formal criminal charges against a designated individual) to indicate that the criminal charges alleged therein against a suspect have not been sufficiently supported by the evidence presented before it to warrant his or her criminal prosecution.
When the grand jury agrees that the evidence is sufficient to establish the commission of a crime, it returns an indictment endorsed by the grand jury foreman with the phrase true bill to indicate that the information presented before it is sufficient to justify the trial of the suspect.

Walter Butters, labourer, was charged by the same complainant (Mrs Eleanor Newell)with striking her with a stick about 7.30 the same evening. In his absence he was fined os. and 10s. costs or one month, the Bench stating that if any further assaults were committed upon Mrs. Newell the offenders would be committed to prison without the option of a fine.
Bury and Norwich Post - Tuesday 11 March 1879

At the Petty Sessions on Monday, before the Mayor and C. H. Fison, Esq. Walter Butters, labourer, was charged by p.c. Randall with being drunk and riotous in St. Nicholas Street, on 20th July, about 11 p.m, which he pleaded not guilty. He called two witnesses who, however, did not prove anything in his favour. He was fined Is., and 12s. expenses
Bury Free Press - Saturday 04 August 1877

Diddy

Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Diddy

Many thanks for your reply, I missed those 2 newspaper reports so they will come in very useful when I come to print out all hubbys family history info.  Walter was deaf and blind according to census returns yet as well as getting up to all sorts of mischief by the sound of it, appears to be the instigator in his wife's divorce to her embittered first husband, had several children and lived to be 90.

I do find the colourful characters more interesting to research, you never know what will turn up next, perhaps I shouldn't have said that it may be tempting fate.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 11:51 BST (UK) »
good luck.
newspaper details from historical newspapers online:

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Diddy

I did have a BNA subscription a while ago but I must have either missed the ones you found, or they might have been added recently, most people would prefer to find inheritance or bland public interest stories, I've come across a collection of ragamuffins and characters which are much more interesting, it's strange to see how Victorians valued or should I say didn't value life compared to the sort of sentences today, a rather vile and violent wifebeater received 3 months and yet minor incidents could lead to a years hard labour, anyway thanks again for your help, it was much appreciated

Regards

Julie

Offline jessjenkins95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 December 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Im currently doing research into my family tree, and came across this. Walter Butters is my Great Great Great Grandfather.

I wonder if you have got any further with your research?

Many Thanks
Jessica  :)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 December 16 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessica

Which of Walters children was your Great Great Grandfather/Grandmother?

Julie

Offline jessjenkins95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 December 16 22:55 GMT (UK) »
James W Butters

Many thanks
Jessica  :)