Author Topic: I am hoping to find a 1841 Census for James and Frances Charlotte Stilwell  (Read 5866 times)

Offline anngar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am hoping to find a 1841 Census for James and Frances Charlotte Stilwell and also a 1841 Census for William and Maria Clark

My ancestor Henry Solomon Reid emigrated to Canada in 1835 after his 1st wife Jane Caroline Blair died 25 Apr 1834, Eltham, County of Kent, England, with his two oldest sons James Hales Reid and Blair Thomas Reid and left the two younger sons Henry Robert Reid b. 16 Feb 1832, London, England, bapt. 11 May 1832, St. Luke, Chelsea and George Morison Reid, b. 28 Sep 1833, Eltham, County of Kent, England, bapt. 12 Nov 1833, St John, Eltham, Kent, England in England.   They weren't on the passenger list of a ship called Ontario which arrived at New York on 15 April 1835. The ship had sailed from London.

I am trying to find out if the two youngest sons were left with Jane's sisters Frances Charlotte Stilwell or Maria Clark

In 1841 Frances Charlotte Stilwell,nee Blair, b. 15 Jul 1795 and bapt. 28 Aug 1795 Saint Mary- St Marylebone Road, St Marylebone, London, England and James Stilwell, b born in Croydon, Surrey abt. 1796 maybe listed with their children
 John George Stilwell, b. 9 May 1827 bapt. 26 Jun 1827, Walton on Thames, Surrey
James John Stilwell, b. 16 May 1832 bapt. 30 Jul 1832, Walton on Thames, Surrey
Jane Frances Hales Stillwell, b. 22 Apr 1834 bapt. 26 Jul 1832, Walton on Thames, Surrey

Frances was married before to Capt. James Hales and they had 2 children, but they would probably be old enough to be out on their own.

George Blair Hales b. 14 Apr 1816 bapt. 23 May 1818 Fort William, Bengal, India
Rev. Richard Cox Hales b. 29 Sep 1817 bap 1 Mar 1818 Barrackpore, Bengal, India

Maria Clark, nee Blair b.  25 Sep 1802 bapt. 21 Oct 1802, Walton on Thames, Surrey was married to  William Clark, commanded a West India steam packet.  I don’t have a record of their children

Anngar

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I am hoping to find a 1841 Census for James and Frances Charlotte Stilwell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 15 23:39 BST (UK) »
I can't find James and Frances anywhere else but have just googled and the 1841 Census for Walton on Thames is missing I'm afraid!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 00:01 BST (UK) »
I can't find any trace of Henry Robert Reid or George Morrison Reid in UK census and according to online trees they certainly went to Ontario, Canada - trees state Henry Robert died 26/11/1875 Durham, Ontario and George Morrison Reid died Cobourg, Ontario on 26/1/1865.

Annette 
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline anngar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 00:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for trying Annette7  I appreciate the effort

Yes the sons ended up in Canada.  I can't find a 1841 or 1851 census in Canada with the family in it.  There is a 1842 census Census Year: 1842
Item Number: 7328
Surname: Reid
Given Name(s): H S
District Name: Newcastle
Sub-District Name: Darlington
View digitized page of Census of Canada West, 1842 for Image No.: 004569584_00318
with just H. S. Reid, I think they listed him as a farmer.  He was a collector of customs.
1851 Bowmanville Canada Directory
Agencies Of Assurance Companies, Banns, &C.
Bank of Upper Canada, H. S. Reid, agent, King St.
Reid, H. S., collector of customs, and agent for marriage licenses, and of the Bank of Upper Canada, King St.

I have Dr. Henry R. Reid in a 1861 census in Bowmanville with his wife and son Henry
and Dr. George Morison Reid in Cobourg, Ont with a wife and also a son Henry  Their father Henry Solomon Reid died in 1852.  I wonder if there is a passenger list from the UK to Quebec, Halifax or New York with the sons aboard?  Their father remarried in Apr 1836 to Elizabeth Hagarty b. abt 1811 in Ireland, so they may have emigrated in 1836.

Can anyone find William and Maria Clark in 1841 in Surrey?  William commanded a West India steam packet.

Anngar

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 12:07 BST (UK) »
In 1851 Maria is in Alconbury, Huntingdonshire with children Maria 21 born Middlesex, Wilhelmina H. 18 born Middlesex, Margaret A J 15 born Mitcham, Surrey and Emily N.(?) born Brooklands, Hunts.

1841 - Maria shown as Mary Clark, Ind. and living with Jane Blair 76, Ind.,  Emily Blair 25 Ind. and daughters Wilhelmina 8 and Emily 1 plus servants living in St. Marylebone, Middlesex.

Have found daughter Maria at Brooklands House, Alconbury - shown as head of household - age 11, Ind. with brother Henry 2 plus governess and 3 other servants.

Have found baptisms for the children all except Emily:

Maria Jane b.19/9/1829, bp.29/10/1829 St. Marylebone
Wilhelmina Harriet b.5/12/1832, bp.8/6/1833     "
Margaret Ann Jessie b.13/12/1835 Mitcham, Surrey, bp.10/3/1836  St Marylebone
Henry McPherson b.13/9/1838 Brooklands, Hunts. , bp.12/5/1839         "

So, even though Margaret and Henry born elsewhere were baptised back in St. Marylebone like their 2 older siblings.

As the family were already split up in 1841 it certainly doesn't look as if Maria had the 2 Reid boys.  No trace of husband William on the 2 census but he was no doubt at sea.

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline anngar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 12:53 BST (UK) »
You have certainly come through for me Annette7

Henry S. Reid's two youngest may have reunited with their father in Canada before 1841 or stayed with Frances Charlotte and Dr. James Stilwell or even a sister of Henry.  Jane Caroline Reid named her oldest son James Hales Reid and I think that was after Frances Charlotte's first husband, Capt James Hales, so Jane and Frances must have been close as sisters.  Henry had a sister Harriet Anne Macwhirther, nee Reid who married Dr. John Macwhirter and lived in St. Cuthbert, Edinburgh,Midlothian, Scotland.  I found a 1841 Census for them in St. Cuthbert, Edinburgh but no Henry or George.  Henry and George did some of their education in Edinburgh and I assume that was when they trained to be doctors.

I guess my only hope is to find a passenger list from England or Scotland to Canada or New York

Thank you
Anngar

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 17:31 BST (UK) »
UK outgoing passenger lists didn't start until 1890 so you won't be able to find them leaving England.   Your only hope is finding when they arrived in Canada (or US).

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline anngar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 19:11 BST (UK) »
Ok thanks Annette
Anngar

Offline anngar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:04 BST (UK) »
Annette

I think I found another sister of Jane Caroline Blair,
There is a Harriet Ann Blair b. 13 Apr 1806, bapt.14 May 1806, SAINT MARY-ST MARYLEBONE ROAD,ST MARYLEBONE,LONDON,ENGLAND, Father: Thomas Blair, Mother: Jane, but I can't find anything on her, perhaps she died.

Anngar