Author Topic: General questions about the Haggart family  (Read 14133 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: General questions about the Haggart family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 September 18 09:20 BST (UK) »
According to G F Black's The Surnames of Scotland, Haggart is a corruption of MacTaggart, and was not uncommon in Perthshire in the late 16th and 17th centuries.

MacTaggart is from Gaelic Mac-an-t-sagairt, meaning 'son of the priest'. The earliest documentary reference cited is from 1215.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 September 18 10:35 BST (UK) »
My mother-in-laws mother, (grandmother-in-law?) was Isabella Wallace Hagart (6May 1898 to 16 Nov 1955).  She seems to have lived her life in and around Edinburgh.
Her father was William Wallace Hagart,  but I don't have any further information on him.  As my son is not interested I have not pursued this any further.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 September 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Harry (hdw), you say "Being a mason, he might have been related to James Haggart, stone mason, who was married to Catherine Duncan. I know their names from the death-certificate of their daughter Agnes Haggart who was married to David Spence, vintner at Kingsbarns in Fife. She died in 1874 aged 76. The census of 1871 gives her birthplace as Strathkinness in Fife."

This Spence-Haggart couple and their decendants are in my current research, so anyone related do please get in touch. Their grandson John Daniel Spence is a notable figure in our family - a builder in St. Andrews.

When I've researched a branch of my family-tree I often write a little article which I keep on the computer for future reference. A few years ago I wrote something about my Spence of Kingsbarns researches. This extract may be of interest -

"David W. Lyle’s “Shadows of St. Andrews Past” (John Donald, 1989) has a photo on page 81 of Jock SPENCE’s steam traction engine in 1909 pulling part of the former Catholic church that stood on the Scores to James Street, where it was to become La Scala, St. Andrews’ first permanent cinema. On page 82 Jock and his workers can be seen taking a break from erecting the cinema.

The 1901 census of St. Andrews shows only one John SPENCE, living at 7 Melbourne Place with his widowed mother Jessie. John is 26, single, a mason, and an employer, born in Kingsbarns. He was in fact born there in 1875 to James SPENCE, mariner, and Jessie Stuart, who was from Spittalfield in Perthshire.

In the 1881 census James and Jessie SPENCE are living in Cottage Row, Kingsbarns with their six children, including John, 6.  James is 50, and is obviously the James aged 11 in the 1841 census, living in Cottage Row with his parents David SPENCE and Agnes Haggart (see above).

David SPENCE was born in 1790 to Alexander SPENCE and Magdalene Davidson, Alexander being a brother of my 5 x great-grandfather George SPENCE (Ramsay). So Jock SPENCE the mason and steam traction engine owner would have been a 3rd cousin of my 2 x great-grandfather James Peebles and his brother Robert, who emigrated to Tasmania together."

Harry

Offline BruceCarey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 January 19 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scott,
My mother''s maiden name was Christina Haggart daughter of Robert and Margeret Haggart, born in Kirkfieldbank,  Lanarkshire, Scotland on the 4th December 1901. She lived her early years in New Lanark and then moved with her parents and some siblings to Kettering, Northants, England where I was born in 1944.
Her father was born Robert Hegarty in the Glenravel district in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. His father before him was also Robert Hegarty.
I hope this is of interest.
Regards,
Bruce Carey

Offline mweston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 August 22 03:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, I also found Haggarts from Markinch, Fifein my family tree if its any help.  Starts with James Haggart and Isabella Mackie, they have James Haggart b: 1785 Markinch Fife.  James marries Isabella Mitchell marriage date not found yet but they have Janet Haggart b: c1826 at Markinch.  Janet marries Thomas Dobbie Wood b: 1826 The Gorbals, Glasgow they marry 31 July 1848 at East Parish, Greenock, Renfrew. Scotland.  After living in Stirling, and losing 2 of their sons they decide to emigrate to Australia, I have the boat they arrived on and their children as their daughter Isabella is my Gt Grandmother, happy to forward any further information.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 August 22 09:35 BST (UK) »
I seem to have forgotten about this when we were discussing Haggart before, but a career criminal called David Haggart was hanged for murder in Edinburgh in 1821 and his body handed over for dissection. I wrote an article about him once for the Scots Magazine. Forgot all about that till now. If you Google "David Haggart hanged" you will get lots of links.

Harry

Offline geordiemac48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 June 23 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi All, not often go through Roots general questions, but have come across this interesting one on Haggart name. It is in my paternal family list from 1700 in Kenmore, Perthshire, a Donald Haggart and down via descendants to my 4th Gt Grandmother Helen Haggart. Though Helen has 4 siblings and  several uncles/aunts I have not done much research on them apart from birth dates and again in Kenmore, Perthshire area. Interestingly re the origin, though some other researchers have got my original Donald and his wife's name, one has posted a marriage date, same as mine but the surname seems to show as McInhaggart!!
Regards to all

Bill
Houston, McGill, Laurie/Lawrie, Cunningham Stirlingshire & Lanarkshire. McRae Perthshire,  Glen, Dewer, Meldrum, Irons, Crambie/Crombie & Ness from Fife, Walls/Wells , McMurdo originally Ireland and Dumfries.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 June 23 12:03 BST (UK) »
Interestingly re the origin, though some other researchers have got my original Donald and his wife's name, one has posted a marriage date, same as mine but the surname seems to show as McInhaggart!!
Never trust other researchers. Check the original for yourself and see what you make of it.

See also my Reply #9 below.

Having said that, if it is derived from Mac-an-t-sagairt then it is conceivable that it might at some point have been Mac-an-thagairt, which could have sounded quite similar to Macinhaggart.

There are several variant spellings of Macintaggart in the parish registers at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. Search for M*c*ag*rt to pick up all of them. (The index there does not include any instance of Mcinhaggart, which suggests that 'other researchers' may have misread it.)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.