Author Topic: Patrick (Peter) BARRIE B. 1750'S in or near Arbroath m. Margaret Stronner  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Hi - am trying to find the information on Margaret Stronner who married Patrick Barrie or any information on both of them?
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick (Peter) BARRIE B. 1750'S in or near Arbroath m. Margaret Stronner
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I assume you mean this marriage:

Source: FreeREG
Ref: Arbroath Volume V
Register No.: 74
Date: 22 Jan 1774
Groom: Peter Barrey, Bachelor
Bride: Margaret Stronner of St Vigeans Parish, Spinster
Notes: Contract

Source: FreeREG
Ref: St Vigeans Volume I
Register No.: 178
Date: 11 Feb 1774
Groom: Peter Barry, Bachelor of Arbroath
Bride: Margaret Stroner, spinster of St Vigeans
Notes: Marriage

Margaret Stronner
Note there are two Margaret Stronners of a similar age in the local area. There is a marriage for Margaret Stronner, spinster of Arbroath, and William Murray, bachelor in Arbroath in 1780.

Perhaps Margaret Stronner was the daughter of James Stronner and Margaret Petrie? James and Margaret baptised at least two children in St Vigeans: Ann in 1754 and John in 1755. There is a baptism for a Margaret Stronner in Inverkeilor in 1746, daughter of James Stronner. Inverkeilor is a village close to St Vigeans.

There are a few burials which could be her during the 1830s in the parish of Arbroath but hard to discern which is the one we are looking for.

Peter Barry
There are two burial entries which possibly look like your ancestor. Firstly, Peter Barrie buried 15 Apr 1827 aged 76 years (puts him at the right age) at Arbroath. There is another burial entry for Peter Barrie, buried 5 May 1836. You will need to determine which if either will be him.

I could not find a baptism for him in Arbroath. There is a marriage for a child in the parish called Margaret Barrie in 1782 and the entry mentions her grandfather, Hugh Barrie. This could perhaps be a relative of Patrick.

Further info

Angus Archives holds an Examination Roll for St Vigeans (1752) and Arbroath (1752). These are lists of parishioners. You could contact the Archives and request a search for any Stroner/Stronners and Barry/Barries.

- Lu
Most of my family tree covers the Highlands of Scotland, London, Hertfordshire and the Midlands of England. I work as a researcher in a military archive.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick (Peter) BARRIE B. 1750'S in or near Arbroath m. Margaret Stronner
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 03:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this additional information.  Did not have their marriage information so will use the one you sent.  Not sure if they are on Family Search Org or not, but will take a look.  Thanks you!
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa