Author Topic: Royal Engineer Signal Service  (Read 1711 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Engineer Signal Service
« on: Wednesday 22 July 15 10:47 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to detect from his army number whether a man served in the RE Signal Service as opposed to any other branch of the Sappers?  (Paul Nixon's magnificent work on service numbers does not cover the Royal Engineers).

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Engineer Signal Service
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 18:05 BST (UK) »
Have you any more details?  Did he volunteer or was he conscripted?    Or was he in the Army before the war started?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 19:20 BST (UK) »
Short answer is - don't know!  This is very much a shot in the dark that I am fully aware won't really get me very far.  My man's service and pension records have not survived.  There are a couple of medal cards for Royal Engineers (we know he was a Sapper, we have a clear photo in uniform).  He was an engineer in PO telegraphy before the war and it seems likely that he would have been drafted into the Signal Service (many PO employees were). He survived the war. From this, I wondered whether one of the numbers on the MICs could be said to be a Sapper in that branch.  I am fully aware that the cards on their own are not much help unless they cross check with other info - and we haven't got any!
So, even if a number can be identified as a Signal Service member, I know that all I could say is that x is more likely to be our man than y.  As admitted, doesn't help a great deal but always better than nothing!

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 July 15 08:29 BST (UK) »
My other thought  would be to find out whether  "GPO Telephones"  if they were called that in the 1920s  had an HQ building somewhere  that they had a plaque  engraved with the names of their  staff  who had fallen during  WW1.

In my local Post Office there is plaque listing the men from the town  who had fallen in WW1

Secondly,    Men from the local railway  were listed on a Marble plaque at the railway station.  Recently it was re-located to the Parish church  and there was special consecration service.

If the Royal Signals  have a museum,  it may be worth looking at their web site.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 July 15 09:30 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks Scouseboy.  We have seen the catalogue of the Postal Museum and intend a visit there.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 July 15 09:34 BST (UK) »
Is he wearing an armband in the photo?

Men in the Signal Service wore a white-over-blue armband, which is still distinctive in black and white photos.

I have only recently realised the significance of this armband in the photos of my grandfather.

This attached photo is of two of my grandfather's mates.

Justin

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 July 15 09:55 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, the photo is head and top of shoulders only but thanks for the thought Justin.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 July 15 20:57 BST (UK) »
My other thought  would be to find out whether  "GPO Telephones"  if they were called that in the 1920s  had an HQ building somewhere  that they had a plaque  engraved with the names of their  staff  who had fallen during  WW1.

In my local Post Office there is plaque listing the men from the town  who had fallen in WW1

Secondly,    Men from the local railway  were listed on a Marble plaque at the railway station.  Recently it was re-located to the Parish church  and there was special consecration service.

If the Royal Signals  have a museum,  it may be worth looking at their web site.

They certainly do.http://royalsignalsmuseum.co.uk/WebSite/
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 July 15 09:09 BST (UK) »
My man survived the war and if he left the service after the war would not have been a member of the Royal Signals as they weren't formed until 1920 (as your username tells me I'm sure you know certacito).

Nonetheless, another possible avenue, thanks.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk