Author Topic: Help please in reading census  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please in reading census
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 August 15 15:08 BST (UK) »

Yes, - definately Dowlais I think... (I've blown it up as far as it will go, and you can see the marks where the ink hasn't come out properly).

I see what Spidermonkey meant about the terrible transcription on Anc****y:

Name:    James Harris
Estimated birth year:    abt 1871
Relation to Head:    Head
Spouse:    Annie Harris
Birth Place:    Towlcus, Germany
Civil Parish:    Sheffield
Ecclesiastical parish:    Sheffield St Peter and St Paul
County/Island:    Yorkshire

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 August 15 15:22 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast just says Glamorgan ;D

But looking for any other info on James Harris, born 1871 in Dowlais, FindMyPast offers a David J Harris aged 20, married with 4 children aged 18, 16, 13 and 10  ::)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Loves Labours

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 August 15 18:38 BST (UK) »
Good evening all,
I do appreciated everyone's thoughts and comments as to my grandfathers place of birth.  The only sure fact I have is that he was born in Wales (he states Glamorgan on documents).  His date of birth changes on some paperwork, the range being 1871 to 1875.  Also, between 1901 and 1911 he decided to change his surname, confusing me even more.  I will follow up on all leads given and thank everyone for their suggestions.
kind regards
Harries
Harris

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 August 15 19:02 BST (UK) »
Does his marriage certificate give a father's name and occupation? That could help narrow it down...
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 August 15 19:32 BST (UK) »
What is the surname in 1911, and how do you know they are one and the same?

Offline Loves Labours

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 August 15 08:29 BST (UK) »
Morning Mabel & Deirdre,
It looks like a fib was told because whilst saying Annie was his wife on the 1901 census, James and Annie never married so no cert to look at.
On the 1911 census they are in Yorkshire and using their new surname and my 3 uncles are also listed.
I have just downloaded another version of this census and it is a little clearer.  A birth down of Dowlais has been given.
Unfortunately none of the James Harris' I have looked at so far can be him.  One emigrated, the others still in Glamorgan at the time of the 1911 census.
Many thanks
Harries
Harris

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 August 15 09:54 BST (UK) »
Did something happen between 1901 and 1911 for James to want to change his name, or did he perhaps revert to his original name?  Do you have James before the 1901 census?

Offline Loves Labours

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 August 15 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Spidermonkey, there is much speculation within our family as to what happened between 1901 and 1911 to bring about the name change, outlandish theories: he was a bigamist, wanted by the law, in debt.  Probably something much more mundane but, unfortunately, we just do not know.  Cannot find any trace of him before the 1901 census, I am trawling through Glamorgan census records but there are so many James Harris' it is going to be difficult, if not impossible, to find the right one as we have no idea as to his parents names.  Can anyone suggest documents, other than census, where this may have been recorded?
thanks & regards
Harries
Harris

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 August 15 19:36 BST (UK) »
So what name is he under on 1911?