Author Topic: MCINTOSH, MCNICOL brickwalls galore in Petty, Inverness  (Read 13088 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MCINTOSH, MCNICOL brickwalls galore in Petty, Inverness
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 July 15 15:40 BST (UK) »
Ahhh, I see. Sorry... you see I was confused already. So many McIntoshes and McThisandThats, my brain's starting to hurt.  :o I certainly see your point and had also wondered where "Sarah" came from!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 24 July 15 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hilary,

This will let you check census free  :P

http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 25 July 15 00:51 BST (UK) »

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 27 July 15 13:31 BST (UK) »
I found something cool: will of John McNicol's wife, Isobel. It seems she disowned her son Donald, Marjory Mcintosh's husband?

Isobel Fraser relict of John McNicol late farmer in Kerrowgair of Connage. With sound memory and judgment to settle my affairs by the following letter will and testament in order to prevent any disputes which might arise after my death about the succession and division of my means and effects and considering that by the latter will and testament executed by my said late husband certain provisions made in favor of my children all of which I have paid although regular discharges were all obtained for the whole of them and that since the death of my said husband the farm of Kerrowgair has been managed by me and my sons James and John McNicol and the Tack intended to be given of said Farm was to be in their names jointly but the stocking and effects therein belong to me subject to any claim or right they have in consequence of their industry in the labour and management, and for the above reasons and their and attention to me and the love, sorrow and affection which I have and bear to them I hereby under the under provisions and declarations underwritten make constitute and appoint the said James and John McNicol my sons my sole executors and universal legators with full and ample power to them to execute with care and pursue for, uplift receive and discharge all and sundry debts sums of money goods and gear which shall be resting and owing or pertaining and belonging to me at the time of my death by whatever person or persons by binds bills accounts or any. These presents are granted by me to my said two sons under the burden of payment of my debts and funeral expenses, as also that they shall discharge Donald McNicol my eldest son of the sum of 40 pounds sterling which he was bound to pay me in consequence of the will of my said husband and the farm and effects given to him and interest due wherein the said Donald McNicol however discharging them any claim competent to him or any right of succession to his father or me as the eldest son and heir at law in any manner or way and further that the said executors shall at the first term of Whitsunday or Martinmas after my death lay out the sum of 20 pounds the yearly interest to be paid to Margaret McNicol my daughter now spouse to Alex. Mackintosh at Midd Coull during her marriage and in case of the death of her husband before her the said sum to be given her and at her free disposal and in case of her death and not receiving the same said sum to be equally divided among her children immediately after her death under the burden of the following legacies which I leave and bequeath 5 pounds to Isobel McIntosh daughter of the said Alex Mackintosh and Margaret McNicol and the like 5 pounds to Isobel McNicol daughter of the said Donald McNicol both to be paid immediately after my death and to William McNicol my son now in Jamaica one hundred pounds in case of his returning to Scotland and demanding the same but in case of his death or of his not returning to Scotland and demanding payment the same to belong to my executors and I declare this my last will and testament reserving my own liberty to dispose of my effects at pleasure with power to alter these presents at any time in my life and consent to the registration hereof in the books of Council and Session or others competent therein to remain for preservations and thereto Constitute my procurators in witness whereof I have subscribed these presents underwritten upon this and the preceding pages of stamped paper by Campbell Mackintosh underwritten in inverness at Kerrowgair the 22nd day of April 1812 before James and John Russel both at Wester Kerrowgair and Alexander Fraser written in Inverness with the special desire of the above named designed Isobel Fraser who declares she cannot write having never been taught. I Campbell Mackintosh notary public subscribe for she having authorized me to do and touched my pen.
Detail
MCNICOL, ISOBEL (Reference SC26/38/2 ELGIN SHERIFF COURT WILLS)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 27 July 15 14:28 BST (UK) »
Also found this:

CAMPBELTON, (or Campbelltown), a village in the parishes of Ardersier and Petty, in the county of Inverness, 10 miles to the N.E. of Inverness. It is seated on the coast of the Moray Firth, not far from Fort George. The Earl of Cawdor, from whose family name the village is named, owned the land on which the village is built. That part of the village in the parish of Petty is sometimes called Stuarton. Here is an United Presbyterian church, and on a neighbouring eminence the remains of a British fort, Here is also a chalybeate spring, and the village is frequented as a watering-place."

So Angus Sinclair was likely from Campbeltown in Petty, not Argyllshire.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 27 July 15 14:42 BST (UK) »
I found something cool: will of John McNicol's wife, Isobel.

Hi Hilary,

So glad I mentioned this  :P

I haven't looked myself but if you try the free search of wills on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk you may find something  ???

Good find on Campbellton.............well done  ;D

Also found this:

CAMPBELTON, (or Campbelltown), a village in the parishes of Ardersier and Petty, in the county of Inverness, 10 miles to the N.E. of Inverness. It is seated on the coast of the Moray Firth, not far from Fort George.

So Angus Sinclair was likely from Campbeltown in Petty, not Argyllshire.

This will certainly open the door further for you  ???

Annie

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 27 July 15 14:45 BST (UK) »
Yes, thank you, Annie, for all of your advice! You've been a super help!  ;D

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 02 August 15 19:43 BST (UK) »
I see lots of speculation about Campbeltown and whether or not it is in Argyll or Inverness-shire. I've known this cause confusion before and would confirm that in Inverness the name Campbeltown would not be recognised as the place we would call Ardersier. Don't know if that helps at all.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 03 August 15 10:45 BST (UK) »
I see lots of speculation about Campbeltown and whether or not it is in Argyll or Inverness-shire. I've known this cause confusion before and would confirm that in Inverness the name Campbeltown would not be recognised as the place we would call Ardersier. Don't know if that helps at all.

You're right, there is a lot of confusion which is all down to transcription/speling errors back in the day.
Seems there are 2 different places, Campbeltown & Campbelton with misspellings of both & both having been "Campbeltown"  & sometimes "Campbelltown ???

Here is an example of Campbeltown, Argyll being spelt Campbelton  ???
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Campbelton,_Argyll,_Scotland_Church_Records

A few more examples of how it is confusing:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/INV/Petty/Gaz1868.shtml

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/93160

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/INV/Where/#C

http://ardersier.org/history/origins-of-ardersier/
Do you know how  ‘Ardersier’ got its name?
The present village changed its name(s) from ‘Stuarton’ and ‘Campbelltown’ to ‘Ardersier’  in the mid 20th century – avoiding confusion with another Campbelltown, in Argyll.

All adding to our knowledge when doing genealogy even though confusing  ;)

Annie