Author Topic: MCINTOSH, MCNICOL brickwalls galore in Petty, Inverness  (Read 13009 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: MCINTOSH, MCNICOL brickwalls galore in Petty, Inverness
« Reply #36 on: Monday 03 August 15 11:15 BST (UK) »
I see lots of speculation about Campbeltown and whether or not it is in Argyll or Inverness-shire. I've known this cause confusion before and would confirm that in Inverness the name Campbeltown would not be recognised as the place we would call Ardersier.

I forgot to add that Campelton/Campbeltown (Inverness) is from records Hilary has.......pre the change of name to Ardersier.
We research what we know from the time, not what it has changed to since as many of us wouldn't know these things.

Hilary has done extremely well in her own research to find the answer to the confusion  ;D

I was born in Scotland & lived here all my life yet I would never have known that Ardersier was named Campeltown prior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardersier
"The narrow strip of land on which Stewart-town was built belonged to the Earl of Moray and fell within the parish of Petty. Literally across the road, the householders of Campbell-town worshipped in the church of Ardersier, This land belonging to the Earl of Cawdor (of Macbeth fame), a Campbell. Collectively these two settlements were later referred to as Ardersier, but it was not officially known as such until the late 1970s, thus preventing confusion on postal deliveries to the other Campbeltown in Argyll".

I have more interest in history now than I ever did at school. I always said "I'm not interested in the past"  ;D..............if only I could have seen into the future  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline HLRobertson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 24 March 16 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Found this really interesting.

My 5 x Gt Grandmother is Margaret McIntosh (nee McNicol) she married Alexander McIntosh abt 1792 in Petty and I have the following children listed.  Wondering if this is the same line?

McIntosh, Isobel
b.  19 Jul 1793Petty, Invernesshire.

McIntosh, William (my family line)
b.  21 Apr 1795 Petty, Invernesshire.
m. Tolmie, Janet

McIntosh, Ann
b.  07 Jul 1797Petty, Invernesshire.

McIntosh, John
b.  21 Mar 1799Petty, Invernesshire.

McIntosh, Donald
b.  05 Jan 1802Petty, Invernesshire.

McIntosh, Barbara
b.  28 Nov 1805Petty, Invernesshire.

Hazel

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 24 March 16 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Found this really interesting.

My 5 x Gt Grandmother is Margaret McIntosh (nee McNicol) she married Alexander McIntosh abt 1792 in Petty and I have the following children listed.  Wondering if this is the same line?

McIntosh, Isobel
b.  19 Jul 1793Petty, Invernesshire.

McIntosh, William (my family line)
b.  21 Apr 1795 Petty, Invernesshire.
m. Tolmie, Janet

McIntosh, Ann
b.  07 Jul 1797Petty, Invernesshire.

McIntosh, John
b.  21 Mar 1799Petty, Invernesshire.

McIntosh, Donald
b.  05 Jan 1802Petty, Invernesshire.

McIntosh, Barbara
b.  28 Nov 1805Petty, Invernesshire.

Hazel

Hazel, I am THRILLED to hear from you. Yes, this is absolutely the same line and you, then, are part of my family as well! I know this for a fact as I have Margaret McNicol's mother's will. Her mother mentions Margaret and her husband Alexander McIntosh in the will, as well as Isobel McIntosh, their daughter b. 1793. I would love to share with you-- I have done hours and hours of research on this family. Please email me: hilary.k.ellis@gmail.com!

Offline HLRobertson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 24 March 16 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hilary I have sent you an email! Great to find some relatives.

Offline Smudge3311

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 23 June 17 20:16 BST (UK) »
Thought I'd throw my bit in here, I am connected to the Sir James MacKintosh mentioned earlier, but through marriage, my 5th Gr uncle Duncan MacPherson married Anne Brodie Campbell, Ann's mother was Margaret MacKintosh the sister of Sir James MacKintosh, Duncan's sister Mary MacPherson being my 5th Gr Grandmother, much can be found about the MacPhersons of Ardersier on the web if interested but I digress, my little stumble at the moment is my 5th Gr Grandmother on a slightly different line, Mary MacIntosh married James Davidson in Ardersier in 1776, trying to tie down this Mary MacIntosh? Any ideas?

Regarding Campbelltiwn/stuarton/Ardersier....have known about this all my life, it is this way due to half the village belonging to the estates of earls Campbell's of Cawdor (campbell town) and the other half to earls Moray esates (whom were Stuart's thus Stuarton), Ardersier was a large farm(carse of Ardersier and Mains of Ardersier)(my 6th Gr Grandfather James MacPherson of Ardersier worked for Cawdor as his Factor and lived at Mains of Ardersier) the name was changed from Campbelltown as mail mistakes were happening in the postal system with 2 villages named the same, thus although known locally and unofficially as Ardersier it was only changed officially in 60's or 70's.....why do I know this trivia?.....I was Born in Ardersier, and my parents still live there...any help I can go be please ask

Garry

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 23 June 17 21:15 BST (UK) »
Thought I'd throw my bit in here, I am connected to the Sir James MacKintosh mentioned earlier, but through marriage, my 5th Gr uncle Duncan MacPherson married Anne Brodie Campbell, Ann's mother was Margaret MacKintosh the sister of Sir James MacKintosh, Duncan's sister Mary MacPherson being my 5th Gr Grandmother, much can be found about the MacPhersons of Ardersier on the web if interested but I digress, my little stumble at the moment is my 5th Gr Grandmother on a slightly different line, Mary MacIntosh married James Davidson in Ardersier in 1776, trying to tie down this Mary MacIntosh? Any ideas?

Regarding Campbelltiwn/stuarton/Ardersier....have known about this all my life, it is this way due to half the village belonging to the estates of earls Campbell's of Cawdor (campbell town) and the other half to earls Moray esates (whom were Stuart's thus Stuarton), Ardersier was a large farm(carse of Ardersier and Mains of Ardersier)(my 6th Gr Grandfather James MacPherson of Ardersier worked for Cawdor as his Factor and lived at Mains of Ardersier) the name was changed from Campbelltown as mail mistakes were happening in the postal system with 2 villages named the same, thus although known locally and unofficially as Ardersier it was only changed officially in 60's or 70's.....why do I know this trivia?.....I was Born in Ardersier, and my parents still live there...any help I can go be please ask

Garry

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply! If you'd like to email me at hilary.k.ellis@gmail.com, I'd love to discuss further with you.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best,

Hilary Ellis, Mackintosh descendant

Offline Smudge3311

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 25 June 17 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Hilary

I have sent an email

Regards

Garry

Offline Lorna Grace

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 31 October 20 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Re name Ardersier... this was the parish name - first documented in 1226 so existed before then. It means ‘high promintory’ - referring perhaps to Cromal hill, aka Cromwell’s hill.
Various spelling through the years eg Arthursyre Ardescroon Arderseer
When the govt started to build Fort George 1748, the estates capitalised and built adjoining villages Campbelltown and Stuarton. Stuarton and the Earl of Moray’s lands are in the parish of Petty along the shore, while their neighbours across the street are on Campbell of Cawdor land in the parish of Ardersier. As the parish boundary runs up Stuart Street and so the houses either side of the street are different parishes, landowners, presbyteries...
All friends now, of course  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 01 November 20 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Johnston's Place Names of Scotland suggests as the origin of Ardersier either árd ros ear meaning 'high east point' or árd an saoir meaning ' point of the carpenter' but in so going he confuses árd, which specifically means high or tall, with ros, which is a promontory or peninsula. (Also, I think that in order to comply with the rules of Gaelic orthography it would have to be written árd an t-saoir which would anglicise as Ardentyre, by analogy with the surname Mac an t-saoir which anglicises as Macintyre.)

Not surprisingly, Johnston is now regarded as unreliable.

I don't know the origin of the name 'Cromal', but I'd be surprised if Cromal Mount were the árd in Ardersier because it's not a notably high or prominent feature - it seems to be built on, or part of, the raised beach that runs roughly north-south above and to the east of the village. If it were a notable feature of the local topography there would be a photograph here http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=123595917

Canmore https://canmore.org.uk/site/14316/cromal-mount-ardersier suggests that it may have been a mediaeval motte, and that 'Cromwell's Mount' is a popular corruption of the original name Cromal. Obviously, if it's mediaeval, it pre-dates Oliver Cromwell (1599-1658) by some considerable time.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.