Author Topic: MCINTOSH, MCNICOL brickwalls galore in Petty, Inverness  (Read 13089 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MCINTOSH, MCNICOL brickwalls galore in Petty, Inverness
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 July 15 13:44 BST (UK) »
I did find this under deaths:
   1864   MACINTOSH   ALEXANDER   MUNRO (mother's maiden name)       M   86   PETTY   /INVERNESS   106/00 0011

Only death for an Alexander McIntosh of Petty. If he died at 86 he'd be born circa 1778.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 July 15 13:47 BST (UK) »
I found a baptism in Petty in 1805 for a child to Alexander McIntosh and his wife Anne McIntosh, witnesses were Donald McIntosh and James McNicol, so that might be him.

I also found a Donald McPhail born to Isobel McIntosh and Alexander McPhail in Petty in 1805, so I am wondering if this is the Donald McPhail, son of her sister, that Marjory mentions in the letter. There is no other birth for a Donald McPhail in Petty around the correct time with a McIntosh mother.

I found Anne McNicol and Angus Sinclair's baptism of daughter Marjory "May" Sinclair in Petty in 1825, and witness was John McNicol "tenant in Connage." I note that it says Angus Sinclair was a wood merchant of Campbeltown, which I looked up and is in Argyllshire- but I see there are a couple people on the page from Campbeltown, so was there one in Inverness as well?

I think the "of Campbeltown" would imply he was originally from there although living in Petty  ???
or do you mean was there a Campbeltown in Inverness  ???

I think the Alexander & Ann McIntosh would be worth trying to trace & may be on 1841 onwards if they remained in Scotland but hopefully survived post 1855 for a statutory death cert.  :-\

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 July 15 13:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for your advice :)
I don't see that there was a Campbeltown in Inverness-shire, but rather just noticed a couple other men on the page were from there, and wondered if perhaps I was wrong about the Campbeltown in Argyllshire being the only one. But I've done some Googling and I don't think there was a Campbeltown in Argyllshire. The family document said Angus Sinclair was a shipwright from Argyll, so this does line up.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 July 15 13:51 BST (UK) »
   1864   MACINTOSH   ALEXANDER   MUNRO (mother's maiden name)       M   86   PETTY   /INVERNESS   106/00 0011

Only death for an Alexander McIntosh of Petty. If he died at 86 he'd be born circa 1778.

Could well be Marjory's brother with the dates being close to each other  ???

I wonder what the mother's forename was  ::)

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 July 15 13:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for your advice :)
I don't see that there was a Campbeltown in Inverness-shire, but rather just noticed a couple other men on the page were from there, and wondered if perhaps I was wrong about the Campbeltown in Argyllshire being the only one. But I've done some Googling and I don't think there was a Campbeltown in Argyllshire. The family document said Angus Sinclair was a shipwright from Argyll, so this does line up.

I think that's a TYPO............Campbeltown is Argyll  ;D

Annie

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 July 15 13:59 BST (UK) »
Oops! Yes, typo  ;D

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 July 15 14:08 BST (UK) »

Mother looks to be Mary Munro if this is him

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYD5-THN

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 July 15 14:14 BST (UK) »
Mother looks to be Mary Munro if this is him

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYD5-THN

Not much of a clue really as Marjory didn't name a daughter Mary which would seem strange if Mary Munro was her mother  ???

Annie

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 July 15 14:15 BST (UK) »
hmm...would've thought her mother would be called Ann because she seemed to follow the naming pattern pretty strictly...but I guess it's possible. Or maybe this is not the right Alexander McIntosh, if he died before 1855. Marjory mentions Mr. Hugh Munro in her letters home. Seems these Fraser, Munro, McIntosh, McNicol families all inter-married and named their kids the same few names... ::)