Author Topic: Mead, Meade and Mede, 1600 and before  (Read 9381 times)

Offline Sue.P

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mead, Meade and Mede, 1600 and before
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 February 18 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, this gives me lots to look at.

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 11:13 GMT (UK) »
For William Meade and George Meade of Monks Risborough, I went to Aylesbury to look at wills.

For William Meade, of Monks Risborough, yeoman, in 1610, there is only an inventory. He was quite well off, with goods and chattels worth £147 4d.

There is a will of George Meade of Monks Risborough, husbandman, in 1639/40. He mentioned:
Richard his son, (born Monks Risborough 1600)
Edday Bousay(?), with her son Richard
Alice (Alice Meade, of Whiteleafe, married 1628 to Stephen Clarke)
Margaret, (born Monks Risborough 1606)
Wife Katherine, (probably Katherine Clarke, married George Meade in Wendover, 1607)

Not mentioned:
John, (born in Whitleafe in Monks Risborough 1603, had children there 1625 to 1633)
William, (born Monks Risborough 1609)

https://sites.google.com/site/meadfamilyhistory/home/wills/bucks/wills
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline acon66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Gedmatch sc7898118
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 17:45 BST (UK) »
I have John Meade born 1660 little hot wood bucks married Damaris Woolley my 8th g grandparents. Cheers
Oconnor/Ayres/Bennett....Wardington
Timms/bowerman...charlbury water Eaton  Middleton  cheney
Ianson Darlington
Moss pratley
 peachey
Dna matches to loveridge smith Boswell Lovell

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 06:09 BST (UK) »
In Family Search (Batch Number: C145421) there’s a John Mead, christened 1 January 1660 in Little Horwood, Bucks, son of William Mead and Mary. (Marriage: William Meads and Mary Dassett, 20 October 1653 in Little Horwood. M145421)

William Mead could be the son of John Meade and Elinor. I have these christening records in Little Horwood St Nicholas:
29 Mar 1620 John son of John MEADES
8 Dec 1626 Bridget daughter of John MEADE
5 Oct 1630 William son of John & Elnor MEADE
28 Apr 1633 Mary daughter of John & Elner MEADE

There could be confirmation in the will of William Mead, of Little Horwood, 1694. This is at Hertford, probably because Little Horwood was a manor that had belonged to St Albans Abbey.

Before John Meade I don’t know. There were a lot of John Meades, for example at Stewkley and Soulbury, about a mile or two away.
Pontifex - Bucks

Offline acon66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Gedmatch sc7898118
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 09:20 BST (UK) »
I need to investigate this line a little more thanks for your reply.
Oconnor/Ayres/Bennett....Wardington
Timms/bowerman...charlbury water Eaton  Middleton  cheney
Ianson Darlington
Moss pratley
 peachey
Dna matches to loveridge smith Boswell Lovell

Offline Dave Mead

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 September 19 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi. I just wanted to let you know that I (although mostly my father who is still alive at 93) have done a lot of research on the Bucks Meads. My dad did all his research before computers were around and went to church records and the Bucks Archives. He got back to Whiteleaf around 1600 and when I read his research it blew me away. For someone who was not at all interested in History at school (I am an Engineer) reading what he had put together changed my life and I am totally fascinated by history now - not just family history.

I am really fascinated by family history though, and about 20 to 25 years ago I started looking into other areas of the that dad hadn't looked at so much, and used the internet too. But I have hot and cold periods of research and haven't done much for quite some time. The one area that I was never comfortable with on his research was Richard Mead and Catherine Ives (my 9 x great grandparents) and I spend a lot of time trying to fathom where they came from and I was not convinced there was a link to the Whiteleaf Meads.

I actually handled that will you referred to (with gloves) and all the other researcher in the records office basement in Aylesbury were astounded when it appeared as none of their researches had gone back quite that far. Dad already had it transcribed but I was intrigued and could understand much of it at all, but the staff there were very willing to help. None of this really helped any further with the Richard and Catherine link which to me put an end to going much further back.

A few years back I spotted that someone had found the link with Richard to the Soulbury, Essex and Somerset Meads and without too much detailed analysis myself I was intrigued by it all and actually visited many of those areas, Elmdon, Clavering, Wendon Lofts and ended up in Wedmore in Somerset too.  I share a birthday with my dad (Alan Mead) and two weeks ago we celebrated it by doing a family history tour of Wendover, looking at some of the homes my direct ancestors lived in . Dad wrote the Book Of Wendover (with three other people) about 30 year ago, so he was in his element and so that trip inspired me a little.

Other projects take up a great deal of my time and so I only dabble in family history from time to time, but last night a friend sent me an email talking about a famous person in her family tree whom she has written a piece about, in relation to an affair with Charles II. That triggered something off for me and I decided I ought to finally update my own Family Tree, that I very rarely look at, on Genes Reunited. I decided to put that Richard and Catherine link in there and go all the way back to 1166.

I started, but ended up going down other routes on both Wikitree and Geni. I went down what was shown as Richard's mother's ancestors (Bridget Brograve) and looking down so many different branches I ended up at first finding a link to General Robert E Lee (it worked out that I was his 15th cousin 7 time removed) and then eventually it went down one specific path to before the Norman Conquest and over into France with a direct ancestor in the Prince of Monaco and further back still to Rollo the first Duke of Normandy. I was just so hooked on it all last night and stayed up very late to get all the information down. I did keep thinking that most of us in this country are probably related to Rollo.

With a day off today I continued and then tried to get back to Richard again and find out exactly what the link was with the famous Meads, William and Matthew, from the 17th century. I have been doing a lot of research on William Penn lately so it all seemed justified.  But I just couldn't see the link, and the date of death for my Richard being shown as October 1634 in Soulbury and the other Richard's death being exactly the same just didn't make sense as they were obviously not the same person. I then searched for Meads of Soulbury and found this thread, confirming it is all nonsense.

So I am all a little bit disillusioned about it all at the moment, and need to have another break form it. But realising there are people out there going through the same as me and finding the exact same problems that I did 20 years ago with Richard Mead and Catherine Ives and the Monks Risborough Meads, is quite heartwarming. So I just felt I ought to make contact with you, and as I live in Bucks and within striking distance of these places, I may be able to help out if it is not too time consuming. I am still working, but do get across to Aylesbury to see my new granddaughter fairly frequently.  It is refreshing to have the nice and different name of "Vienna" in the Family Tree now - though not followed by Mead. Anyway, it might be possible to get into the records office there, though I'm not sure of their opening times.

Best regards

Dave Mead.

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 07 September 19 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,
I have always found them to be very helpful at the record office at Aylesbury.

All that stuff on Wikitree - links to Elmdon, Clavering, etc - are best ignored. Someone has gone around connecting everyone in England, with no evidence whatsoever. It's all rubbish.

All I can say with certainty is that Richard Mead and Catherine Ives were married in Amersham on 27 July 1635. There were several Richard Meads born in Bucks 1590 to 1615, and it could have been any of them - or someone else. Catherine's father might be John Ives of Amersham. He left a will in 1632. It's at Aylesbury, you can see it in the Bucks Wills Database. This might give more information about Catherine, but probably not about Richard Mead.

There were several Richard Meads born at about the right time, and I don't know how to choose among them. There was a Thomas Mead who had children in Amersham 1611 to 1619, but none named Richard that I know of. Thomas is probably the one whose burial in Amersham is recorded on 5 May 1628.

Pontifex - Bucks