Author Topic: Hawkers of Hardware  (Read 2299 times)

Offline lada

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hawkers of Hardware
« on: Wednesday 22 July 15 18:44 BST (UK) »
My Gt Grandfather came to England 1847/8. On the cencus's up to his death in 1874 his occupation is listed as " Hawker of Hardware". I take this to mean he was a tinker. Would anyone with a knowledge of Irish history or can suggest some reading material where I can understand a bit of my history, did he walk with his wife and three children, (my grandfather would be a babe in arms), would he have a horse and cart, would there be provision for that to be taken on the ship to England to continue his occupation. If I take it that he was illiterate can I be sure that my name is Dugan or was it a name given to him by some dignatory.There are so many questions still to be answered even though I have been trying to trace my ancestry for the best part of ten years. I hope someone may be able to cast a little bit of light. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Offline famtree03

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hawkers of Hardware
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 November 17 08:41 GMT (UK) »
If they travelled to UK famine time it ment they had money for boat, the very poor had no money to travel at all. Hawker is not a tinker, you can sell anything from floweres to food to raw materials etc.
Most people did not read and write back then hence different dates and different spellings of surnames by appointed clerks.
It is likely walking and carts etc where used.
There are thousands of books on Irish social history, maybe browse online stores. List county and century in your search etc

My own family hale from Mayo Circa 1840's