Author Topic: Alexander Robertson merchant in Portsoy ('Mr Sandy')  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Robertson merchant in Portsoy ('Mr Sandy')
« on: Wednesday 22 July 15 22:09 BST (UK) »
Has someone access to "The Church and Churchyard of Fordyce" by William Cramond 1886, and could look up the entry under Parish Church Records which baldly states "Robertson is lately dead", and confirm what date. I have the date as 7 Apr 1790, but hoping it might be 7 Apr 1791.

Alexander Robertson merchant in Portsoy death is reliably recorded as 18 Nov 1790 in Edinburgh. I believe him to be the character known as Mr Sandy who is said to have escaped his creditors by sheltering The Debtors' Sanctuary in Holyrood.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Robertson merchant in Portsoy ('Mr Sandy')
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 August 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Fordyce,

Do you have Alexander Robertson's 10 page Testament Dative & Inventory from http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

It is dated 8 June 1791 and will confirm the date of death, his assets, debtors, creditors etc.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Robertson merchant in Portsoy ('Mr Sandy')
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 15 07:46 BST (UK) »
Yes I do, which is why I said his date of death was reliably recorded as 18 Nov 1790 (and this was also announced in Scots Magazine and Gentleman's Magazine), and is the reason I was hoping that I had been misinformed about Cramond's 1791 date.

Since my posting, someone has kindly looked up Cramond's book and confirmed he does state the year as 1790, as well as discovering that the 'lately dead' Robertson was in fact in prison in Edinburgh. I have to conclude this is referring to a Robertson other than Mr Sandy.

Thanks for your interest.