Author Topic: Death for John Brown  (Read 5027 times)

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death for John Brown
« on: Thursday 23 July 15 00:17 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for a death for John Brown who was born in Stonehouse, Lanarkshire in 1893 and sailed to Quebec in 1920 and went to Toronto to work for a Mrs Sneddon of Galt Avenue, Toronto.
His occupation was a gardener.  His parents were James Brown & Agnes Dickson

Someone has already found his details of sailing and I know it's a long shot but just wandering if anyone can help me find what happened to him.   

I tried the phone directory for Toronto in 1921 but couldn't find a Sneddon listed in Galt Avenue.

My previous request was on Canadian Passenger lists and I'm not sure if I should be posting this on the same page.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Death for John Brown
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 July 15 03:09 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to Tazzy's other thread: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=726146.0
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 July 15 06:33 BST (UK) »
Could this be the Sneddon family?

1921 Toronto Census
Andrew Sneddon, living with stepfather Archibald? Robertson and I assume his mother, Jessie Robertson, as well as Robertson children.  Andrews' info: born c1901, Scotland.  The family immigrated 1910.  Address:  137 Galt.  Piano Finisher.

Marriage for Andrew Sneddon.  His parents were George Sneddon and Bessie Cathcart(?).  Andrew's occupation: Lithographer
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FMF8-ZMZ

Have not yet found John Brown's passing.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 July 15 06:46 BST (UK) »
According to an online tree, Andrew was born in Blantyre, Lanarkshire.  His father passed away in 1902 in Carluke, Lanarkshire.  His father was only 27 years old.   :'(

The tree states he immigrated in 1904.  There is a passenger list for Mrs? Sneddon - "Howife", age 25, Giles, age 4, and Andrew, age 2.  They were headed for Toronto. 
Sailed from Glasgow, 30 April 1904 on board the Buenos Ayrean.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 July 15 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Here is a COMPLETE shot in the dark!!  Forgive me if I am barking up the wrong tree. 

Looking at what Lisa found - Sneddons and Robertsons at 137 Galt.   Perhaps there is a family connection.  would your John have had the middle name Robertson?????

I found an obituary for a John ROBERTSON Brown - according to the cemetery stone, he was born in 1893.  He died in 1970 in Meaford.    Obituary is in the Globe and Mail.  He was an OPP sergeant. 

http://geneofun.on.ca/names/photo/430006

I know the name is such a common one, but I am just posting this because of the birth year, and the Robertson name. 

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 July 15 17:07 BST (UK) »

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 July 15 17:15 BST (UK) »
Jessie Cathcart Robertson (presumably Mrs Sneddon before she was Mrs Robertson) - with Archibald Robertson. 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fs2/

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 July 15 17:24 BST (UK) »
Obituary for Jessie C Robertson in the Toronto Star....

She died after an operation, on March 10 , 1929.  Service was held at her home 137 Galt - put on by the Daughters of Scotland (she was a past president).  Wife of Archibald Robertson.  Was a member of Rhodes Ave United Church.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 July 15 17:35 BST (UK) »
Obituary for Archibald Robertson in the Toronto Star.

He died at his home 137 Galt on July 6 1934.  He was 62.  Father of Archibald Robertson (of the circulation department of the Mail and Empire).  Born in Lanarkshire.  When he was young, worked for the A Robertson Buttling stores of Lanarkshire.  Came to Canada in 1912.  Since 1914, worked for the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC).  Was a member of the Toronto Railway Employees union.  Attended Riverdale United Church.  Children are Archibald, Annie and Jessie of Toronto, Mrs Jack Day and Mrs Jack McDeigh of Los Angeles.  3 stepdaughters Mrs William Salzer of Hartford CT, Mrs Vern Hudson and Mrs Ernie Watt of Toronto.  One stepson Andrew Snadon (must be Sneddon) of Toronto.

So far, I don't see any references to John Brown in any of the Sneddon/Robertson records.  :'(  Was hoping we would find some good leads....

RK