Author Topic: Death for John Brown  (Read 5027 times)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death for John Brown
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 July 15 18:37 BST (UK) »
Marriage for Jessie Cathcart Sneddon to Archibald Robertson in 1914.   

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:27Z1-WQX

RK

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 July 15 18:57 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, John Robertson doesn't appear to be the correct person.

The headstone shows John R Brown and Hazel (includes middle and maiden names).  (I don't like to post "recent" information.)  I found a marriage record for John Robertson Brown, marrying Hazel (same middle and maiden names as on the headstone.)  John was born in Ontario and his parents were not James and Agnes.

Good thought, though, RK.  If only it had worked out.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 July 15 19:12 BST (UK) »
Well, I was about 90 percent sure it wasn't the right man, but still worth a look!  Thanks for knocking him out of the running.

There are far too many John Brown obituaries in the paper to know which might be the correct one - without a middle name, or some connections through the Sneddon/Robertson family.   It is very hard with such a common name.  There is also the possibility that he didn't stay in Toronto.   :'(

RK

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 July 15 19:42 BST (UK) »
There are far too many John Brown obituaries in the paper to know which might be the correct one - without a middle name, or some connections through the Sneddon/Robertson family.   It is very hard with such a common name.
RK

I agree.  I have a Jane Brown, born in Ireland c1811, married in Toronto.  :-\  I've never tried to find her parents or siblings.

I'll try again later for Mr. Brown, in case there is some little clue.  Thank you for your help, RK; it's always nice to have other ideas.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 July 15 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa & Run Kitty,

Many thanks for all the info on the Sneddon's.  I also thought that there might be a connection with my Great Uncle John Brown to the Sneddon's or Robertson's but John didn't have a middle name and also for the fact that he gave the name of Sneddon in Galt Avenue Toronto as his employer when he went to Toronto.   He may have moved on somewhere else from Toronto.  He was in the Cameron Highlanders before he went to Canada.   It is a long shot but I thank you so much for wha you've done.   :( :( :(

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 July 15 03:22 BST (UK) »
Hi tazzy:

There were a lot of John Brown's in the 1921 Toronto directory.  One lived 9 blocks away (using a current map) from the Galt Street address, on Curzon Street.  Perhaps he lived near the Robertson/Sneddon family; perhaps this Mr. Brown was in no way connected.  Like RK, I thought I would just mention it.
https://archive.org/stream/torontodirec192100midiuoft#page/610/mode/2up

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 July 15 03:38 BST (UK) »
Another possible wild goose chase...
1921 Sub-District 42 - Port McNichol (Village), Simcoe East, Ontario Census
Joe Brown, Single, born c1894, born Scotland as were parents, immigrated 1920, Presbyterian, Gardener

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 July 15 03:54 BST (UK) »
He was in the Cameron Highlanders before he went to Canada.

John's immigration document states his father was James Brown, Millfield Cottage.

British Army Service Record
Attestation of:  John Brown, Corps: Cameron High.
"Questions to be put to the Recruit before enlistment.
1.  What is your Name?  1.  James Brown
2.  What is your full Address?  2.  Millfield Cottage
4.  What is your Age?  4. 21 years
5.  What is your Trade or Calling?  5.  Gardener"
Dated:  21 December 1914

Should we be looking for a James Brown, not John?  Could John have been a nickname? ???

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 July 15 09:38 BST (UK) »
Dear Lisa.

Definitely not James Brown.  I have his army papers and it is John Brown.  His Birth Certificate shows John Brown - no middle name.  He had a brother called James (killed in 1918).   My late Mother told me many times that her Grandmother (John's Mother) used to say that she thought John must be a down and out as she hadn't heard from him for a long time.  That was probably in the late 1920's / 1930's. (she died in 1939)
I think it may be too difficult to find him due to the common name.