Author Topic: Gillan Gillen Gillon  (Read 12509 times)

Offline griogair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-grandfather John Thomson (b.1877) Duntocher
    • View Profile
Re: Gillan Gillen Gillon
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 August 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
Might be worth checking for Poor Law/Workhouse records. Many people born in Ireland who moved to Scotland claimed under the Poor Law (the equivalent of today's social security). If they did, their case files usually noted their parish of origin in Ireland. (This was because for recent arrivals they could be returned to that parish). The records often also contain details of next of kin. Interesting in its own right too. I am not sure where Dunbartonshire Poor Law records are kept. But it might be worth searching for them because if any of these families did claim, it may answer your question as to their origins.

Thank you, I will defo try this. 😄

Hi Zebrakat,

I haven't been able to view the Poor Law records yet but have just discovered that my ancestor Patrick Gillan came from County Cavan in Ireland which narrows down my search for a place of origin for my Gillans quite a bit. Thought this could possibly be of help if you were able to link to my Gillans.

I also came across a birth record for a Laurence Gillon yesterday but you'll probably have this already. Laurence Gillon. b. 22 Aug 1873 at Blairdardie Rows, New Kilpatrick. Father, John Gillon - coalminer. Mother, Ann McAubray. Parents married, 10 Jun 1868, Kilmarnock.

As far as I know Blairdardie was the neighbouring mining township to Garscadden as I mentioned in a previous comment. There seem to be many Gillans involved in coal/ironstone mining in this area at this time.

Best wishes.
Thomson - Duntocher<br />MacKay/McKay - Ness - Isle of Lewis, Tradeston, Dalmuir<br />Gillan - Cavan, Duntocher<br />Crerar - Loch Tay, Perthshire<br />Muir - Allness, Ross-shire<br />Speed - Campbeltown<br />Boden - Ayrshire, Duntocher<br />McQuiston - Ayrshire

Offline Zebrakat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 August 15 07:08 BST (UK) »
Might be worth checking for Poor Law/Workhouse records. Many people born in Ireland who moved to Scotland claimed under the Poor Law (the equivalent of today's social security). If they did, their case files usually noted their parish of origin in Ireland. (This was because for recent arrivals they could be returned to that parish). The records often also contain details of next of kin. Interesting in its own right too. I am not sure where Dunbartonshire Poor Law records are kept. But it might be worth searching for them because if any of these families did claim, it may answer your question as to their origins.

Thank you, I will defo try this. 😄

Hi Zebrakat,

I haven't been able to view the Poor Law records yet but have just discovered that my ancestor Patrick Gillan came from County Cavan in Ireland which narrows down my search for a place of origin for my Gillans quite a bit. Thought this could possibly be of help if you were able to link to my Gillans.

I also came across a birth record for a Laurence Gillon yesterday but you'll probably have this already. Laurence Gillon. b. 22 Aug 1873 at Blairdardie Rows, New Kilpatrick. Father, John Gillon - coalminer. Mother, Ann McAubray. Parents married, 10 Jun 1868, Kilmarnock.

As far as I know Blairdardie was the neighbouring mining township to Garscadden as I mentioned in a previous comment. There seem to be many Gillans involved in coal/ironstone mining in this area at this time.

Best wishes.

Hello

No I havent got all the siblings records as yet, so thank you. I was just trying to organise my records to make my search a little more efficient. I do have John & Ann marriage as John was married previously in Ayr. John is my husband 3 x Grandfather. It's his 4 x Grandfather Laurence I can't seem to trace him back to Ireland. I want to obtain John's birth record too because he was born in Ireland I believe.

I do believe John etc all had a sibling called Patrick even my husband has a sibling Patrick. They have consistently used family names for years, Joseph, John, Samuel. Laurance, etc etc

I have a strong feeling there is a connection between our families.
Gillan/Gillon Rutherglen, Cambuslang
Gillan/Gillon Ayrshire
Gillan/Gillon Ireland
Curle Glasgow
McCarthy Cork/Waterford
Murphy Cork/Waterford
Clifford Kerry/Tipperary/Limerick
Ryan Tipperary

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 13:39 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline markggillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 18:28 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for my Great-great grandfather Luke Gillen.  I'm not entirely sure where in Ireland he's from suffice to say he was born about 1825.  Although I don't know specifically based on my Ancestry DNA tests it might be Connacht (Mayo, South and West), or Muenster (Cork, Central and East).

He married a Bridget Burns in the US but I suspect the families knew each other in Ireland.  Bridget (or Bridgette or Brigida) was born in Feb, 1828, but where precisely in Ireland is unknown to me.

I see by the posts in this forum topic that there are Gillens on root chat so I'm hoping to get in contact with someone who can give me a hand understanding where the Gillen family are concentrated.

Thanks,
Mark Gillen

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 October 22 14:57 BST (UK) »
Mark, I found a Luke Gillen in the Tithe Applotment Books (probably too early for your Luke-but an idea).

Luke Gillen
townland: Mullinary Cortenell
parish: Aghnamullen
county:Monaghan

In Griffiths Valuation:
Luke Gillan
townland: Tinode
parish: Street (Granard)
county:Westmeath

Luke Gillan
townland: Knappagh Beg
parish: St John
county: Sligo

Just to give an idea of maybe where to look.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 October 22 17:46 BST (UK) »
Mark has since begun a topic about Luke Gillen.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=866254
Cowban

Offline markggillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 October 22 21:05 BST (UK) »
Mark, I found a Luke Gillen in the Tithe Applotment Books (probably too early for your Luke-but an idea).

Luke Gillen

In Griffiths Valuation:
Luke Gillan

Luke Gillan

Thanks, these are wonderful.  My Luke Gillen was born around 1825 but where in Ireland is a complete mystery.  His marriage to Bridget Burns took place in the United States in November of 1844 so my Luke pre-dates the Luke Gillen's you mentioned, however, I'm hoping that one Gillen will lead to another.  I'm also doing the search genetically which is how I came upon a Thaddeus Gillen married to an Anna Lenhan (or Lenaghan).  I mean every thread is one more thread I didn't have before.

Thank you for taking the time to add to my research.

Regards,
Mark Gillen

Offline markggillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 October 22 13:06 BST (UK) »

Luke Gillen

In Griffiths Valuation:
Luke Gillan

Luke Gillan

Thanks, these are wonderful.  My Luke Gillen was born around 1825 but where in Ireland is a complete mystery.  His marriage to Bridget Burns took place in the United States in November of 1844 so my Luke pre-dates the Luke Gillen's you mentioned, however, I'm hoping that one Gillen will lead to another.  I'm also doing the search genetically which is how I came upon a Thaddeus Gillen married to an Anna Lenhan (or Lenaghan).  I mean every thread is one more thread I didn't have before.

Thank you for taking the time to add to my research.

Regards,
Mark Gillen

I'm wondering if the Luke Gillen in Sligo might be related to a Thaddeus (or Thadeus) Gillen also from Sligo, Drumcliff Parish I believe.  I know I have a genetic match to Thaddeus so perhaps Gillen in Sligo might prove to be a useful lead.

Again thanks for your help.

Regards,

Mark Gillen