Author Topic: Elizabeth Vaughan b. abt 1845 Deptford  (Read 8705 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Vaughan b. abt 1845 Deptford
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 July 15 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is also on FreeBMD this death:

Vaughan, Owen; September Qtr 1864; Wandsworth; Volume 1d Page 300

I note from an earlier post (birth of daughter Georgina Sims in 1867) that they were living in the Wandsworth area at this time. A possible perhaps?

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 July 15 23:19 BST (UK) »
I can't find any other Elizabeth Vaughan, but the one born in Meopham had a father named John, not Owen.   Also, Meopham is quite some way from Deptford.

I can't see an Owen Vaughan living near Deptford on the 1851 census though. 

EDIT Have just seen David's comment above

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 July 15 23:26 BST (UK) »
Just about to post that was a false trail as I've found this baptism

Rosina Vaughan
Baptism Date:   10 Feb 1847
Baptism Place:   Meopham,Kent,England
Father:   John Vaughan
Mother:   Martha Ann

Your Elizabeth is proving hard to find in 1851.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 July 15 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This might put the cat amongst the pigeons as the old saying goes! ;D

However, the only marriage that I can find in the country on FreeBMD for an Owen Vaughan/Vaughn is the following:

Vaughan, Owen; March Qtr 1843; Wrexham; Volume 27 Page 355

There are four possible brides on the same page & they are:

Margaret Jones
Elinor Lloyd
Jane Powell
Mary Roberts

Hope this helps rather than hinders!

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 July 15 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This might put the cat amongst the pigeons as the old saying goes! ;D

However, the only marriage that I can find in the country on FreeBMD for an Owen Vaughan/Vaughn is the following:

Vaughan, Owen; March Qtr 1843; Wrexham; Volume 27 Page 355

There are four possible brides on the same page & they are:

Margaret Jones
Elinor Lloyd
Jane Powell
Mary Roberts

Hope this helps rather than hinders!

Kind regards

David

I notice that in 1862 in Wandsworth (2 years before Owen) that there is the following death:

Vaughan, Mary; June Qtr 1862; Wandsworth; Volume 1d Page 276

Coincidence?

Kind regards

David

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 July 15 00:05 BST (UK) »
The only other Vaughan marriage, in London, with a father Owen, is 1878 Wandsworth.   John William Vaughan aged 25.   But I think he's living in Wales in 1861 with his parents Owen and Mary.  So maybe the same couple, but not Elizabeth's parents.

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 July 15 19:49 BST (UK) »
I think I'm wrong about the above John William Vaughan being the one who was living with his father Owen in Wales.   

Following on from his marriage in 1878 to Eliza Budgen, in Wandsworth (same area that Elizabeth was living when Georgina was born in 1867) in all the censuses he gives his place of birth as Putney, Surrey born around 1853.

Although he gives his father's name as Owen Vaughan on his marriage certificate, I can't find them together.

In 1871 John William Vaughan is living in Paddock Road, Bushey, Hertfordshire (as a boarder).  Just a couple of houses from where Elizabeth Vaughan is living!  So they certainly seem to be connected.

Can't find a birth or baptisms for either of them though.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 July 15 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Following on from Lily M's post above, I wonder therefore if Owen Vaughan/Vaughn is in fact the adoptive/foster father of both Elizabeth Vaughan & John William Vaughan?

The fact that no births/baptism's can be found for them. Also Elizabeth being born in Deptford, Kent & John William in Putney, Surrey but they appear to be connected. I am not aware as to whether Owen & Mary had any children of their own or not. However, it is to my mind pointing in this direction. I have a couple of instances of this in my tree.

What do you all think?

Kind regards

David

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 July 15 22:26 BST (UK) »
I would like to thank you all for the great work you are doing, but as Alice said "curiouser and curiouser". I have been out most of the day and only this evening and I've been trying to get my head around some of this. Certainly the link in Bushey would confirm a connection with John Vaughan but I think I'm going to need baptisms if indeed they exist.

Robert…
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics