Author Topic: Half Morton Keightley s  (Read 2224 times)

Offline bramhallbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Half Morton Keightley s
« on: Friday 24 July 15 19:05 BST (UK) »
George Keightley m Jane Johnston abt 1804 in Half Morton

Jane m Andrew Little & Jane's sister Mary m Robert Edgar

Indeed
Bingo for 1851. I have located Mary Edgar & her daughter after looking for 7 yrs.
Ages 38 & 1. Spelt Edger!!!!!Corkhall, Half Morton as a LODGER with Andrew Little & his family inc Jane Johnston 75 yrs old his mother in law. Mary's Mother was b Jane Johnson & married George Keightley (Caitley)    Still in shock....Jane Johnston reverted back to maiden name .

Any comments or help most welcome. Some Keightley entries later are Caitley
Borodenko, Kalmus, Lobanenko, Chaplenko. Basko.
Robson,Gillespie,Sentence, Edgar, Gildert

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Half Morton Keightley s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 July 15 23:08 BST (UK) »
Not entirely sure exactly what specifically you would like help with, Bramhallbill. But a look at the valuation rolls for 1885 and 1895 show that Robert Edgar, a tailor, owns and occupies no. 72 Irvingtown in 1885, but 10 years later that property belongs to someone else and Mary Ann Edgar, described as a widow, owns and occupies no.73 Irvingtown.

Is there anything particular now you want help to find out?

Ian
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline bramhallbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 July 15 00:14 BST (UK) »
I need a lesson in valuation rolls as I know nothing about them!!!

1851 had Robert Edgar in Kirkpatrick Fleming while his wife Mary was with mother & sister at Cockhall in Half Morton. The mother was Jane Keightley & had reverted back to her maiden name. Jane Johnston. Is this usual? I had not seen a reversion before. I'm struggling to see other Keightley relatives. IGI has changed & Scots people likes exact matches.

Jane Johnston married George Keightley.
Mary Keightley married Robert Edgar  31 May 1844, Half Morton, on IGI but I have not seen the entry to confirm stuff.
Of Mary's brother's & sisters
David Keightley seems to marry Sarah Hunter
Margaret K dies in 1839
Jane K 1869....she married Andrew Little  & they were at Cockhall in 1851
George K 1825

Mary Ann Edgar was Robert Edgar's dtr and lived in Robert's old house after he died 1888. She called herself Mary Ann Moor,Moore or Muir. Her son was also Robert Edgar. In 1881 he is listed as a grandson but the surname is Nichol & by 1911 Robert Edgar is living with his mother Mary Ann muir at Moorend.

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 July 15 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Bramhallbill

Everything you'd ever want to know about valuation rolls (and maybe more besides!) is at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/FAQs/index.aspx?2139

Ian
Iandj

Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 July 15 14:41 BST (UK) »
The marriage record for Robert and Mary shows that Mary was living at Flowside when they got married. Flowside was a row of cottages about 250 yards east of Chapelknowe along the old track from Wrae Place to Cadgillfoot (where some of my ancestors farmed). They were married at Chapelknowe, which could mean Halfmorton parish kirk at Timpanheck or the United Free kirk just outside Chapelknowe itself.
Iandj

Offline bramhallbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 July 15 15:17 BST (UK) »
Wow! Cheers. I can't find the actual entry. Flowside is news. I presume Mary's father had died by the time Mary married as I can't find him in 1841 or anywhere. Looks like Half Morton is huge. With many churches then?
Thanks again.

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 July 15 15:49 BST (UK) »
The marriage is under Graitney/Gretna parish in the ScotlandsPeople website, where you can see a copy of the image.

Ian
Iandj

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 July 15 16:45 BST (UK) »
Halfmorton parish was by no means large. In 1841 the population reached its maximum of 737 people and then dwindled to 258 in 1951. It was/is a farm community that mirrored many other farming areas in the 19th and 20th centuries; my ancestors farmed or worked at Cadgillhead, Cadgillside and Cadgillfoot farms among others from the mid-1700s. One of my distant cousins born there taught at the local school and another became a minister at Carlaverock not far away. It wasn't all that unusual to have both an established and a secession church in the same area around this time - church-going was more common then, of course.

Other people may have more personal reminiscences of the area.

Ian

Iandj

Offline bramhallbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 July 15 17:47 BST (UK) »
Worth getting the entry. Thanks. Roving ministers....Marriages few & far between. William Burnet was n't too busy.