Author Topic: Michael Barry and Ellen Cummins, hopefully born in Cork (1830s)  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Barry and Ellen Cummins, hopefully born in Cork (1830s)
« on: Friday 24 July 15 21:20 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone can help me locate one set of my great great grandparents; I have little to go on as they first appeared in Cardiff in the 1871 census and both died in 1874.

They were Michael Barry, born in Ireland around 1832, and Ellen Cummins, also born in Ireland, some time in the 1830s.

According to the 1871 census, their first 4 children were born in Ireland too, Ellen (1854), James (1856), Ann (1859), and Michael (1862), but then Mary Ann was born in Cardiff (1865), followed by John (1867) and Julia (1870), so we are looking at them leaving Ireland between 1862 and 1865. Mary Ann, John and Julia were baptised in St David's RC church in Cardiff, and both Ellen and James were married at St Peter's RC church in Cardiff.   

The only thing I've found to place them somewhere in Ireland eventually came on the 1911 census when son James (1856) says he was born in the city of Cork, so I'm hoping the family was from Cork too.   

Unfortunately the ages for Michael and Ellen are conflicting. In 1871 Michael was aged 40, a shoemaker, but his death certificate in 1874 says he was aged 38. In 1871 Ellen was aged 40, but her death certificate in 1874 says she was only 31 (which would mean she was only 11 when her daughter Ellen was born).

The only other snippet of info I have is that Ellen's mother was with them in 1871, Ellen Cummins, aged 79 (abt 1792), born in Ireland.

If anyone is able to find anything on Michael and Ellen, or their children, I would be really grateful as I currently have a rather large gap in my tree - James, my great grandfather, married a girl who was born in Cardiff but her older sister and parents were born in Ireland (and I've yet to find any clue where).

Thanks for reading,

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Barry and Ellen Cummins, hopefully born in Cork (1830s)
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 July 15 13:43 BST (UK) »
That's fantastic, cheers Dathai. I'll look for more of them now, esp James (my great grandfather), and see if I can find the marriage.

I wrote the post last night - for the general board - thinking I had no idea where in Ireland the family was from. Checking through all the children as I wrote, I re-checked James' 1911 census (it had been transcribed as Ireland) and was surprised to see it said 'city of Cork' so amended and moved my post to the Cork board ;D

Thanks for the link; I know it caused great excitement recently, but now I know the area I'm looking at, I can explore (and see if I can enlarge the view to read it more easily ;D).
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....