Author Topic: Samuel McComb  (Read 2930 times)

Offline pergamond

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel McComb
« on: Saturday 25 July 15 05:46 BST (UK) »

I've been trying to trace Samuel McComb, farmer from Grayhill, who married Margaret Sinclair from Lisadian on 7 Apr 1874, in Downshire Road Presbyterian Church. Samuels' father was John McComb, farmer. His witness was a Robert McComb.

Samuel's birth is a mystery, however from his death record from 1 Jan 1899 at 74 yrs we assume he was born about 1825. He lived with his wife and children at Greyhillan, Loughgilly, Newry, Armagh.

I’ve searched all the records I can find for McCombs with a John, and have finally found the closest match, as follows:

Robert McComb, farmer from Keady Beg, father John McComb, a farmer, married Hanna Jane Vint also in Downshire Road Presbyterian Church on 13 Dec 1866. Robert's witness was a Samuel McComb. From the 1901 census Robert was born in 1836, although from the 1911 census he was born in 1843.

Is it possible that Samuel and Robert were brothers? (One of Samuel's children was named Robert, and Robert's first child was named Samuel).
I’m uncertain about the Keady Beg/Greyhillan difference.
What do other people think?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel McComb
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 July 15 08:56 BST (UK) »
I think you can't assume any of the above  ::)

Is this 'your' Samuel McComb?
Probate of the Will of Samuel M'Comb late of Greyhilla County Armagh Farmer who died 1 January 1899 granted at Armagh to Samuel King of Carrowmannon and Joseph J.King of Drumhoney both said County Farmers. Wife Margaret & 'children' mentioned in Will.
Samuel born c1825 according to death registration.

There was also a Samuel McComb in Keadybeg (where you've found a Robert McComb)-
The Will of Samuel M'Comb late of Keadybeg County Armagh Farmer who died 9 December 1887 at same place was proved at Armagh by John Scott of Lower Creggan in said County Farmer one of the Executors. Will mentions wife Margrat & daughter Mary Ann.
Samuel born c1805 according to death registration.

Greyhillan-
http://www.placenamesni.org/resultdetails.php?entry=14081
http://www.townlands.ie/armagh/greyhillan/

Keady Beg-
http://www.placenamesni.org/resultdetails.php?entry=18050
www.townlands.ie/armagh/keady-beg/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pergamond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 July 15 09:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you aghadowey. I agree - it would be lovely to tie everything up neatly, but there were so many McCombs, many with the same names, and from looking at the maps (thanks for the refs) they weren't very far apart geographically. I suspect many would have been related. It's just very difficult to tie them all together, and work out how they all connect, although I have tried extremely hard.

Yes, the first Samuel M'Comb who died in 1899 you mention is 'mine'.

The second one from Keady Beg is interesting - I've found what is likely to be his marriage on 7 Oct 1852 to Margaret Weir. He was a slater/farmer from Keadybeg, father James McComb, witness Elizabeth McComb. But I can't find their daughter Mary Ann, or any other children, yet. He may be the Samuel McComb in the Griffiths Valuation 1864 at Keady Beg. So far he's not fitting in to any of my little trees.

Offline pergamond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 July 15 10:26 BST (UK) »
Despite not finding her birth, I now have the marriage of Mary Anne McComb from Keadybeg, father Samuel McComb, farmer. She married Joseph James King from Belleek, farmer, father Joseph King, Accountant, at Sandy St 1st Presbyt Church on 29 Oct 1889. Witnesses John McCombe and Margaret McComb.

I'm sure I've seen the name Joseph King on documents. Oh yes - a Samuel King of Carrowmannon and Joseph J King of Drumhoney were the executors of the will of Samuel McComb from Grayhilla who died in 1899. Joseph King of Drumhoney was also an executor of the will of the father (Thomas Sinclair) of Margaret McComb, wife of Samuel of Grayhilla.

This is how I get confused. I need a mind that works like a computer. I can see that everybody somehow ties in together, but can't work out exactly how.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 July 15 11:29 BST (UK) »
Just ready to post Mary Anne McComb's marriage  :)

Mary Ann McComb, dau. of Samuel, m.29 Oct.1889 Joseph James King
Marriage: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FYHW-ZJC
1.   Mary Agnes King (26 Nov.1892)
2.   Joseph King(2 May 1896)
3.   William Samuel King (2 May 1896)
However, I haven't yet found any trace of the family in 1901  >:(

This is Joseph James King of Drumahoney-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Balleek/Drumnahoney/1035063
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Belleek/Drumnahoney/305260
Probate of the Will of Joseph James King late of Drumnahoney County Armagh Farmer who died 9 December 1912 granted at Armagh to William King and Hugh Samuel Andrews Farmers. Will mentions daughters Emily Agnes & Mary Jane, son Robert Alexander, daughter Louisa Eleanor, son Samuel Hawthorne, wife.

As you can see, the family details for the Drumnahoney family don't match up to the Joseph James King who married Mary Ann McComb but they could well be connected
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!