Author Topic: William Collins - Craigle  (Read 1395 times)

Offline DawnC86548

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Collins - Craigle
« on: Sunday 26 July 15 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to track a distant Great Uncle who supposely came from Craigle.  His name was William Collins and was born around 1808.   The first record that I have for William was his passenger record.  He emigrated around 1839 with his future wife (and family), Margaret Campbell on the ship, Francis.   There was a Mary Elizabeth Collins (age 11) who was listed as a passenger too.

Is there any to find out if I have the correct information on William.  His occupation was listed as a stone mason here in the US (Wisconsin).

Thank you,
Dawn
Wisconsin

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Collins - Craigle
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 July 15 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, several things you can do. First, I would get a copy of his death cert from October 1848 and his marriage cert from 1841 as both may have information about his parents. Also, William was naturalised on 1st June 1843 and you could obtain a copy of his naturalization cert which usually has good info on it. Lastly, if you go onto the scotlandspeople website (its a pay per view but is inexpensive), and go to OPR births put his name in and birth span 1800-1809 county Ayr there is 1 record which should be him. In the 1841 Scotland census, there is a John Collins with his wife Elizabeth & children of Craigie who are most likely related.If you then go to 1851,there are quite a few Collins' in Ayrshire some of whom look like they could be brothers & sisters to William. On scotlands people once you have William & Margaret's marriage cert, you can confirm if the Margaret Campbell on the ship "Francis" with William travelling with her parents is indeed the same one he marries.
Hope this helps,Kim

Offline tonybonsai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Collins - Craigle
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 August 15 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn.
It's needle in haystack time!!!! My G/G grandfather was an Alexander Collins probably born late 1700's or very early 1800's. Sparse information I have states he was a gardener and later a factor (estate?) by occupation. Reputed father of my G/ grandfather John Collins born 1836 and who lived and died in Ayr, Ayrshire. Alexander as far as I can ascertain never married John's mother Helen Byres and nothing is known of him after fathering John. Did he die young or perhaps emigrate to a new life? Have learned also that a brother of Helen was for many years a gardener at an estate between Craigie and Monkton, Ayrshire. Perhaps she visited and made contacts/ relationships in Craigie area? Do you have an Alexander Collins connected to your William Collins?