Author Topic: Chambers in Brightlingsea - before 1795  (Read 1198 times)

Offline SJCUK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chambers in Brightlingsea - before 1795
« on: Sunday 26 July 15 12:02 BST (UK) »
I have traced an ancestor to a marriage in Brightlingsea (All Saints) in 1795, but seem to have hit a dead end - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edward Chambers married Sarah Howard - 29 Sept 1795.  In the marriage banns they are both stated as being from this parish.  However I can find no record of them in the baptism records for the parish or the settlement records before this date.

It appears they have four children who all appear in the baptisms register for the church - Edmund (1797), John (1799), Sarah (1802) and James (1805).

There is then a record of a burial of Sarah Chambers on 14 March 1808.  I don't know if this is the mother or the daughter.

In the Parish Overseers Account books for Brightlingsea there is an entry on 18 March 1808 - "By cash received for Chambers's goods - 17 Pounds, 3 Shillings, 0 Pence."

Edward Chambers is buried on 3 April 1808.

Of the children - Edmund appears in the 1841 living in Tattingstone in Suffolk.  John marries in Ipswich, Suffolk in 1826 and James joins the Merchant Navy as an apprentice, before going on to be a Master of a ship (finally settling in Jersey).

What I can't find is any record of what might have happened to the children after the death of the father, or what I am particularly looking for is where the family might have originally come from.  Also - why might the Overseers have sold their goods?

Anybody that has any clues or thoughts on where to look next would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chambers in Brightlingsea - before 1795
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 July 15 13:30 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, I am sure you will find someone able to help you.

To be of the parish on marriage required only a residency of three weeks, I would widen the search for their baptisms to the surrounding parishes. My own family in that area turn up in all the surrounding parishes, they just take some unravelling.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 July 15 14:09 BST (UK) »
One wonders if the children went to a relative in Suffolk, seeing as two of them were to be found there. The Tattingstone mention is interesting as I have seen it mentioned in other marriages in Brightlingsea. Probably links between the ports around the coast.
Have you tried to find any links with the witnesses at the marriage. Difficult to read but the names look like Hamment Wade and Anna Amelia Wade.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SJCUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 July 15 23:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks.
The Wade connection may be of interest and something I will try to follow up.  The vicar that married Edward and Sarah was Rev. William Wade.  It seems from his clergy record that he was born in Dewsbury Yorkshire, studied at Cambridge and became Curate at Brightlingsea in 1773 (and in Alresford - which is a village to the north of Brightlingsea), and then vicar in Brightlingsea in 1778 (until his death in 1809).
He was married to Anne (?), and I imagine if they had children in mid to late 1770s they might be of a similar age to Edward and Sarah when they married, and so could be the witnesses.