Author Topic: finding the right WHYTE in CLOVA  (Read 3920 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: finding the right WHYTE in CLOVA
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 August 15 21:15 BST (UK) »
 ;D Antonia...don't worry, most of us here are all or nothing boys and girls too  ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 August 15 21:39 BST (UK) »
I have managed to take a look at the pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions booklet. There are three White/Whyte stones in Clova and two in Cortachy, but none of them contains any of the folk mentioned in this thread.

Have a look at the baptisms and see if they tell you where the parents' residence was - two of the stones mention Braedownie, and one mentions Mains (which will be Mains of Clova as it's in Clova kirkyard).

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 August 15 22:30 BST (UK) »
Been reading this but like to just see the family in census etc. and I cannot seem to find them on 1841/51 census.  You say his daughter was with his sister Helen Whyte in 1851 - who was said daughter and was Helen married by then?

Can you tell me a) who Charles married, b) where they were 1841 and their children and c) how you know his father was named Alexander?

Sorry to be a pain but nice to see everything in context and I can't seem to as yet.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rossendalerose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 August 15 09:57 BST (UK) »
Annette - Charles Whyte married Jane Luscombe but she died in 1840. In 1841 the family are in Clifton in Gloucestershire. Alexander was named as father on Charles' birth records. His daughter was back in Scotland at school there - Helen Whyte is the headmistress (I had thought Helen was Charles' sister but she isn't - she has a different mother named - she's obviously some sort of relative but not worked out the relationship). Rose H

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 August 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Rose H.   No wonder I was having problems when Charles was in England.

Just to confirm MonicaL's post - Charles, Helen and Janet were indeed siblings.   Helen Whyte died 9/12/1879 Old Machar - described as 'Formerly Boarding School Mistress' and she was indeed shown as daughter of Alexander Whyte, Farmer (deceased) and Margaret, nee Symon (deceased).
Informant was a Margaret Whyte, half-sister.

Appears that Alexander remarried sometime between 1802 and 1808 to a Jean Wilson.   They had at least 6 children:

William 28/8/1808
Jean 18/6/1810
Charlot 25/1/1813
Margaret ca.1816
Archibald 12/8/1820
Francis 1822-126
Betty ca.1828.

All born Clova

I think the Eliza Whyte - sister - with Helen in 1851 is the Betty shown above.

You may well already have got this information but if not, hope it helps.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rossendalerose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 August 15 18:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks -this helps a lot as I was getting confused with the different names of wives for Alexander Whyte - if I'd put the children in dob order I would have realised. Will pass the info onto Antonia if she hasn't looked at this post already.